Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By overbored
  • 1 Post By Rockter
  • 2 Post By pdqaltair

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road
High test Stainless chain

who has the best prices in the US on high test stainless steel anchor chain?

Last edited by overbored; 01-12-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Question - why would you use stainless steel chain as stainless has a poor 'fatigue endurance' (service life in repetitive cyclical loading)?? ... and should be 'sized' for 1/3 of its ultimate strength under such conditions. .... 'Nutherwords plain galvanized steel is MUCH stronger than 300 series stainless for long term load/unload service because of the fatigue vulnerability of 'stainless' (and then quickly followed by the sequential and additive vulnerability of 'crevice corrosion' once the micro-cracks from developing fatigue begin to form).

Simple speak: stainless steel is a VERY poor material choice for anchor chain or anchors.

Last edited by RichH; 01-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Yes, but: Stainless still leaves your deck clean!--Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-12-2012

I want stainless because the galvinized gets corroded just sitting in the bucket. stainless does not. the stainless chain is smoother and does not scratch the deck like the others. I might anchor this boat two times a year, we have very few places to anchor here in So. Cal , repetitive cyclical loading will not be very much while sitting in the bucket. it's a raceboat most of the time and I want to store it and when and if I need it , it won't be a big ball of corrosion when I do. the chain I have, I do not trust because of all the corrosion from being stored wet by the PO. I have had SS chain on other boats in the past and it is the only way to go on this type of boat. I have it on my power vessel in the PNW, came that way, and in the past 20 years I have never had a problem with it.

Last edited by overbored; 01-12-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Yes, but: Stainless still leaves your deck clean!--Dale
Not when it fails and you wind up on the beach.... For "occasional use" it can certainly work but I would not chose it if cruising..

Images linked to from CF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

where was that chain used? it is corroded in the weld heat effect zone which would indicate that it was submerged most of the time. what alloy is it, bet it is not 316L. long type of link does not look like 316L ss high test anchor chain. it did not get that way while being stored above water. we always worry about the strength of the chain but the shackels are the weak link
Old 01-12-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I certainly would not use stainless steel for anchor chain. It will get seawater-wet, and it will pile up in the locker, and it will get de-oxygenated with chlorine around and it will crack like biscuit.

Be eternally suspicious of this stainless stuff.

The chrome in it is very reactive indeed. When there is oxygen around, the oxide passivates it and seals off the reaction, slowing it radically. When there is little oxygen around, and there is chlorine about, it forms chromium chloride and corrodes very quickly.

This is a classic mistake made with seawater tanks. They work for decades if there is a free surface and oxygen around. Put a cork in the tank, let it de-oxygenate, and the tank is wrecked in a matter of weeks.... laced full of cracks. It still looks OK. It just won't hold any water.

Make sure that your stainless water tanks are not filled to the brim, even if there is tap water in there. Let them breathe and let the water splash around in there to oxygenate it.

It looks pretty, but in the wrong conditions it will fail faster than any steel ever would.

Use it only when you have to, and warily.
StormBay likes this.

Last edited by Rockter; 01-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Still the wrong choise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I want stainless because the galvinized gets corroded just sitting in the bucket. stainless does not. the stainless chain is smoother and does not scratch the deck like the others. I might anchor this boat two times a year, we have very few places to anchor here in So. Cal , repetitive cyclical loading will not be very much while sitting in the bucket. it's a raceboat most of the time and I want to store it and when and if I need it , it won't be a big ball of corrosion when I do. the chain I have, I do not trust because of all the corrosion from being stored wet by the PO. I have had SS chain on other boats in the past and it is the only way to go on this type of boat. I have it on my power vessel in the PNW, came that way, and in the past 20 years I have never had a problem with it.
A short bit of galv and a rope rode makes more sense. It's a race boat. Much smarter.
Bilgewater and ottos like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.