Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Good locale for boat maintenance?

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this question, but this seems the most appropriate. If you had to pick your favorite place to slip a 40 foot boat (at a marina), with sufficient vendors and facilities available to have anything done to the boat (haulouts, sail repair/replacement, engine work, including re-powering, etc...), where would you prefer to live? I'm coming to discover that there are probably better places than Charleston. I hope I don't hurt any Charlestonian's feelings, but I've met more folks who bring boats here and are dissapointed in the available services for maintaining boats. We're not likely going to be moving anytime soon, and for the moment, we're gainfully employed and doing well. I just don't see myself keeping a bigger boat than our J24 here, unless I'm going to be doing the vast majority of the work on her. Since we're fairly new to sailing, these sorts of things are new skills for me- I'm already fairly proficient at all sorts of house projects, but boat work (like the complicated stuff mentioned above) is something I'd prefer to trust to a professional with a good work ethic. Having moved from Tucson, we definitely prefer a warmer climate, so Tampa is one area we've been looking at... In fact, one friend of mine (marine surveyor) who used to live here, suggested that Tampa has a lot more going for it in terms of boat resources like we're wanting. Any other ideas??

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Florida may have more boats (including power) then any other state except maybe TX or Cali. More boats = more marinas = more competition = lower prices... I know the eastern seaboard is chalk full of boats too, but mother nature tends to make it a more seasonal affair.
If you have an affinity for a particular area check out marinas.com you can search geographically and get a handle on services/amenities/contact info (no affiliation)

good luck

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 01-12-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Power Boats Trinidad for GRP boat.

Varadero Caribe Venuzuela for a steel or non concours wooden boat.
Old 01-12-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Of course Florida also has that pesky hurricane season, making insurance and hurricane holes more of a regular concern. And it is the lightning capital of the world. But with zero state income tax, there are some tradeoffs in it's favor too.
Old 01-12-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
I'd be willing to deal with the property taxes and marina fees (beaten to death in other threads) if there were enough dependable and qualified help available to avoid some really big problems- especially where an older boat that may require extensive refitting were concerned.