Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-12-2012

nes816 is on a distinguished road
need advice w/ g26

i just got my 1st sail boat is 1973 g26 and came w/ 5hp OB engine i was wondering if i can replace it w/ 50 HP OB engine and what if anything need to be done i dont know anything about sail boats and got this boat to learn how to sail boat is in water but need abit of work also base od alumm mast is crack semm to me like mast is made to be folded can this be repair or do i have to replace?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A 50 hp outboard would be ridiculous on a Grampian 26. Way too much weight in the wrong place, that much HP would just create a gas guzzling wave maker - you would not gain any useful speed. This boat will not plane. Bad idea.... For serious cruising you might want an 8 hp or so just to have a bit more 'punch' in a headwind or chop.. that would be a reasonable thing to do.

As far as the mast goes it may well be repairable, pictures would help to assess the damage. The mast may be in a 'tabernacle' which would allow you to lower the mast with some rigging - certainly makes it easier to address the repairs when the time comes.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-13-2012

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
You have to be kidding - right?

Faster is right - a 50 hp outboard would be ridiculous.

First off - it won't fit in the engine cutout in the transom, if you got it to fit somehow, the entire G-26 transom would break apart when the engine went into gear. The weight would have the stern way below the water line. A larger engine will not make the boat move any faster - it won't plane no matter what you put on it.

The maximum engine size for a G-26 would be under 10hp. A 9.8 four stroke with a 4 blade prop moves the boat comfortably at hull speed running at about half throttle.
Old 01-13-2012

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You need a McGregor
Old 01-13-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nes816 View Post
i just got my 1st sail boat is 1973 g26 and came w/ 5hp OB engine i was wondering if i can replace it w/ 50 HP OB engine and what if anything need to be done i dont know anything about sail boats and got this boat to learn how to sail boat is in water but need abit of work also base od alumm mast is crack semm to me like mast is made to be folded can this be repair or do i have to replace?
I'd suggest you read a couple of books on boats which will explain the difference between a displacement hull (sailboat) and a planing one (speedboat), hence the reason why 50hp is too much.

These are my favourites :

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship
Chapman Piloting and Seamanship
Don Caseys Complete Illustrated sailboat Maintenance Manual (more for fixing stuff)
Old 01-13-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
They're all right, 50hp is overkill and aside from the excess wait and no appreciable gain in performance the boat is built light for it's day compared to it's contemporaries. Expect to have to reinforce the transom to accommodate the weight if you go big hp. It's a simple boat and a good one to learn on. The mast is a plain extrusion with cast aluminum shoe fitted at bottom. Depending on how bad the crack is consider getting it welded. We used the same casting on a bunch of masts we built for Grampian competitors so maybe you find a replacement on a similar damaged mast in a nearby yard. Fits into the deck step with bolt across the step and through the casting. You might be able to swing it down but you will need a couple of friends to avoid dropping it, or check threads on SNet about the subject.

We used to call these grunts in the boatyard (we had names for all of 'em) but a whole bunch were built proving they were popular.

Where are you located? Might be able to direct you if you are in Ontario.
Old 01-29-2012

well guys i got the 50 hp and put it on before i got to read all this info, the reason why i did is not to go fast but to have power in case something goes wrong while learning to sail but i guess i may have to replace it now i took for a ride for few hrs and worked fine but i will look for smaller engine for it... the mast is crack at bottom it separated the mast from the hinge is like a backward L 1 screw at bottom of mast 1 and 1 more on part that works as hinge for lowering purpose mast is been held by riging and 1 screw at bottom i will take some pict next time i go out to boat. i am in miami fl been working on electrical part of boat and making it uscg legal... also pluming is a mess thxs for advice...
Old 01-29-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Y'know, I kinda like this guy.

When in doubt, add more freakin' horsepower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-29-2012

am still wondering how am i gona get to top of mast to inspect it since on my trip 1/2 way up mast found 7 rivets missing on 1 side and 4 missing on the other side where lines coming from sides of the deck connect to mast also wondering how to change valve that drains sink water since is at bottom of hull under water line...
Old 01-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a haulout and a mast drop are in your near future. I would not be sailing that boat with the deficiencies you describe, changing a through-hull fitting is an out-of-the-water job, or at least a tide grid one.

Your mast sounds like it needs a complete going-over, what you've seen is bad enough, leads me to wonder what is there (or isn't there) that you haven't noticed yet. Try to get a boat neighbour with some experience to look it over and advise you - you would be wise to engage a rigger for a proper assessment.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)