Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked 147 Times in 144 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Just about any flame produces some CO. Given that the conmbustion products will be hot, most of us don't worry about CO from cooking during waking hours with normal ventilation, at home or afloat. But a CO detector IS good insurance, especially if you may light the stove while the hatches are buttoned up on a cold day.
The single-burner butane stoves found in oriential groceries for $20 or so, and the more expensive propane camping stoves, work. The problem is those "The 1lb bombs ". Typical propane/butane bottles just have a rubber ball stopping the gas from coming out, so they should not be stored down below. The propane bottles have an advantage in that you can buy bronze screw caps for them. When the bottle is removed from the stove, you screw the bronze cap over it, and there's an o-ring gasket inside as well, so the bottle is truly SECURED and safe(r) for storage.
Should be available in camping or RV stores for $5-10 a pair.
With either butane or propane stove, you may find the salt air rots parts out in 4-5 years. Still cheap enough to replace as needed.