Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-25-2012

Umeds? is on a distinguished road
Jack, when you're single-handed and tacking, that's kind of hard to do .

Hardening overrides are mostly due to incorrect mounting of the winch, as mentioned by SJB, and having too many coils on when pulling fast on a sheet, as you mentioned.

Still, would be good to know if anyone has had experience either way (easing or hardening) with these particular winches.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012

Rather than get all frustrated after getting the winches and not being happy with them, i sent the Radials back and got me a sweet pair of Andersens. 'Figured it's one piece of kit that shouldn't be skimped on.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Umeds?; 02-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umeds? View Post
Rather than get all frustrated after getting the winches and not being happy with them, i sent the Radials back and got me a sweet pair of Andersens. 'Figured it's one piece of kit that shouldn't be skimped on.

Before:

After:

Outstanding decision. I'm not a big fan of Harken gear. I've had some and while it worked well, it always looked a bit "cheap" to me. The difference between those Harkens and Andersens really makes my point IMO.

Take care of those Andersens and they will outlive your grandchildren.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-21-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Harken gear isn't cheap, they're just using modern materials instead of technology that is over 100 years old. Harken also deliberately removes weight were it is not needed. Anderson doesn't have any interest in light weight options. They are very nice winches, but extremely heavy.
Old 02-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Harken gear isn't cheap, they're just using modern materials instead of technology that is over 100 years old. Harken also deliberately removes weight were it is not needed. Anderson doesn't have any interest in light weight options. They are very nice winches, but extremely heavy.
Believe me, I KNOW it's not cheap. I just think a lot of it LOOKS cheap - take the stainless top of that winch - it looks like a sheetmetal stamping while the Andersens look like they were carved from a block of Stainless. I like things like winches to be heavy - it's reassuring. I have always thought worrying about 10 or 15 lbs on a 10K or 20K Lb boat to be a bit academic anyway - it you're THAT worried about weight, put yourself and the crew on a diet and leave the beer ashore.

Of course you aren't going to find high tech deadeyes & lanyards on my boat either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
They are using modern materials ON technology that is over 100 years old. I'm all for inovation and evolution. I'm also of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The Andersen products seem like they will stand the test of time, and for a cruising sailor, who wants a trustworthy and quality product, they seem to me to be the best option. They are not EXTREMELY heavy, more like: they are worth their weight!

I was convinced by Harken's marketing that the new Radials were a quality product, until i did further research on the forums and found that some people complained about certain types of lines slipping. Then i realized that the winches are made in Italy which to me represents a lesser quality manufacturing process (slightly better than "Made in China"). Finally, i realized that the price of the winches were CONSIDERABLY cheaper than other makes, not only the Andersens, which are of course the most expensive.

All this made me realize that i was skimping on the one piece of gear that should be the most trustworthy of all on a sailboat! If you can't winch in your sheets and halyards, you can't sail effectively. And if you can't sail effectively, you might as well not sail at all. Hence sending back the Harkens and ordering the Andersens (which i got for a great price btw: Andersen Winch No.40ST - 2 Speed).

Something has to be said in defence of quality gear and how unfortunately more and more manufacturers are willing to compromise on quality for the sake of more revenue (yes, i am talking about Rocna here too...).