Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I was on Torresen's website to order maintenance items for my diesels (main and genset).

I used to have a supply of oil filters for my Mase genset and never ordered them before. It has a Yanmar diesel and the last filter in my inventory was in a Yanmar box, with a Mase part number handwritten over it.

Since this filter came from a boatyard that caused me a bunch of other trouble, I didn't trust that they may have cut corners. I decided to order both the Yanmar part number on the box, as well as the Mase part in the manual. It is possible that manufacturers spec different things like filters, either to get them to fit a specific installation or provide more filtering media, etc. The Yanmar part was approx $7, the Mase part was approx $20.

About a week or two later, I get a call from Terrensen to say they were looking at the two parts and they were identical, so why don't they just send me two Yanmar parts at $7 each.

That's pretty good customer service!

I do suspect they noticed this in shipping when they couldn't tell which was which on the packing slip and realized their customer would notice the same.

Still, good experience and they have a loyal customer now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Personally, I would have bought them and resold the spares on Ebay and craigslist.
Tim R. likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
while i kindof understand your point it would seem to me that you've already spent more time and effort on this than if you had just went with the $30 bucks,i have been known to spend 2 or 3 days repairing or fabricating a $50 dollar part,knowing all along i was being kindof foolish
Old 01-17-2012

algee is on a distinguished road
You are probably right about "time and effort", but it gets to the point that it's called the PRINCIPLE OF THE THING. Besides that, I am retired, and have plenty of time and I don't mind the effort.
Old 01-17-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by algee View Post
You are probably right about "time and effort", but it gets to the point that it's called the PRINCIPLE OF THE THING. Besides that, I am retired, and have plenty of time and I don't mind the effort.

But I only need 1 oz of ketchup and it comes in a 12 oz bottle, can I buy just one oz...

But I only need one paper plate not 25, why can't I buy just one..

But I only need 2 oz of dish soap not 10 oz...

But I only need a bowl of Cheerios not an entire box.....

But I only need 2 eggs and I have to buy 6 or 12...

But my boat only needs 2oz of wax and the smallest bottle is 16oz...

Anyway you slice and dice it you're still ahead on your purchase. When you lose that single pin, you paid $8.99 for as a "single" vs. $9.99, and you need to buy it again, you'll be out $18.00 vs. $9.99 with four extras...

The "principle of the thing" is that you get four extras for free. I can guarantee the part would cost the same or more if they sold them in singles...

If this stuff makes you whine, boat ownership is going to be a long painful slug.....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-17-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I'm no lover of West Marine, but I wouldn't expect them to break open packages to sell me convenient amounts of stuff. That goes way beyond customer service at a retail store. You might want to pick your battles more judiciously.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 01-17-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
most hardware stores have a selection of bronze bushings and if you bought a stainless bolt with the proper dia. and lengh shank, cut off the threaded end, you could shape the head on a bench grinder,polish it with some sandpaper and there you have it,principals intact and probably some degree of self accomplishment besides
Old 01-17-2012

Tanley is on a distinguished road
"Problem solved!! WM and Raymarine won't get anymore of my $$$. "

How exactly is Raymarine at fault here?
Old 01-17-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
algee, as a customer I agree with you.

From the business side of the things...it isn't so black and white though. It used to be that you could call Motorola and if your question was technical, sometimes customer service actually would connect you to an engineer. Delco would do that without question. But these days?

The engineer costs money, possibly more per hour than many repeat sales would earn. And even worse, the engineer might say the "wrong" thing peer-to-peer, i.e. "You can buy one for a buck at Ace Hardware".

Every company figures their profit and liability issues differently. Some process every order the "wrong" way because it is their system, and by conforming everything to the system they keep overall expenses and mistakes down. For instance, shipping everything by UPS even when USPS Priority Mail would make a particular order faster and cheaper, but, that's not their way of doing things.

LLBean has been aorund for hundred years and they are open about the long-term value of a customer, and if any one order or exception loses money they'll accept the loss because it still costs less in the long run to retain the customer. Of course "the long run" means something else to Benelli, the Italian firearms company that has been family owned or rooted for nearly 1000 years now. (Wowser.)

But most companies these days? Are focused on a shorter term. And some of those approaches, locked into "their process" with no exceptions? Who is to say that isn't what will work best for them, and thta they really can't do any better. Sometimes, you just need to chose the vendor that fits your needs. LLBean, or WalMart. Two very different approaches and two very different price points, both successful companies.
Old 01-17-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
"Problem solved!! WM and Raymarine won't get anymore of my $$$. "

How exactly is Raymarine at fault here?
Raymarine only offers these parts in the 5-packs. WM is actually less at fault here.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.