Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012

gadangit is on a distinguished road
Most excellent responses, I really appreciate the input. This forum is great.
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; try to find out how old the rigging is and what is the service life of same have it all checked out by someone who knows that type of rigging then try and get it all worn out GO SAFE.
Old 01-17-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
the fractional will require more attenttion than the full. ractional rigs are much better for racing but the rig is much prone to failure therefore not recommended for shorthanded cruising.
I would somewhat disagree with the comment that fractional rigs are more prone to failure and are better suited to race boats. Most of the modern cruising designs being built today are being constructed with fractional rigs for a good reason, they are easier to handle, especially in changing conditions, being quicker to power up and down.

Similarly with their comparatively smaller headsails and again with their ability to rapidly adapt without reefing as soon, fractional rigs make an ideal single handling rig, especially when they are designed to avoid overlapping headsails.

I also disagree that Fractional rigs require more attention but here I can also see why someone might say that. As a very broad generality, fractional rigs respond more to changes in backstay tension than masthead rigs and so the backstay is ideally adjusted as windsppeds go up and down. To some that may seem exotic or may seem like adding yet another thing to pay attention to.

But I see this a little differently. When I started sailing in the 1960's, yopu almost never made outhaul adjustments after the sail was up and flying. It was pretty much set and go. Boom vangs were seen as exotic. Today most cruisers would look at a boom vang as a safety item which should be aboard, and by and large, most knowlegeable sailors will adjust the outhaul to the conditions. It would be easy to argue that having a boom vang or adjusting the outhaul requires more attention, but to me these are tools which make sailing easier and at least with the vang, makes the boat a little more forgiving.

In practice neither rig is inherently less reliable or more prone to failure. The likelihood of short service life is much more dependent on the details of the design rather than the choice of rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captflood View Post
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; try to find out how old the rigging is and what is the service life of same have it all checked out by someone who knows that type of rigging then try and get it all worn out GO SAFE.
I also want to comment on Captflood's post. The problem with judging rod rigging as is being suggested above is that there is no good way to reliably judge the service life of rod rigging based on the age of the rigging. There are so many variables in the design and installation, let alone use and abuse that a rig might have been subjected to, that the only way to really determine the condition of rod rigging is by careful, removal and inspection, ideally using some of the higher tech inspection techniques, and even so, these are only short term snapshots of how much lifespan is remaining.

As mentioned above, with wire rope you are more likely to have clues that failure may be approaching. With wire, there can be isolated fatique resulting in a here one moment gone the other. As much as I like rod rigging for its lower stretch and predictable elongation characteristics, personnally I don't consider it as reliable as I would want for long-term distance cruising.

Respectfully,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-17-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
gadnagit, spare rod rigging is usually carried by taking a section of rod and coiling it into a large coil. Yes, it is flexible enough to do that, and then stow the coil someplace. Of course you can also temporarily rig a repair with some bulldog clamps and a length of cable, as long as you have a suitable spare for the end fitting.

My impression is that rod rigging will outlast cable in comparable uses. Inspecting it will call for a dye-check of the end fittings and reswaging them is often possible if there's enough extra length (i.e .in the turnbuckles) to allow for that.

But NavTec themselves seem to prefer not to respond to customer emails at all. I tend to look askance at any vendor who can't reply to emails these days, it is no different from throwing out letters or not answering the phone. NOT professional or businesslike conduct.

Maybe as synthetics become more common, they'll just go the way of buggy-whip makers.
Old 01-17-2012

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
I think the generally accepted spare replacement for standing rigging these days is a coil of Dyneema - such as Amsteel.
UV stable; coils nicely and fits in anywhere; stronger than steel; splices easily as it's single braid!
Old 01-17-2012
Banned

mikieg is on a distinguished road
dyneema?
Old 01-17-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have a dyneema/amsteel backstay on our fractional rig... we have a roachy main and use a whip to ensure the sail clears the backstay on light air gybes and tacks. (Wire would have been too heavy)

Some tech info here:
AmSteel Synthetic Rope Technical Information

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-19-2012

gadangit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
A tapered mast is much better than a straight one, either lighter at the same strength, or stronger at the same weight. Tere is a reason racers pay for them through the nose.
Which of the two advantages yours has you can easily guess if it is a raceboat.

What is your problem with the rod rigging? If it is good, leave it alone!
You can carry a replacement wire, no need to carry a replacement ROD.
One wire that's longer than the longest part of your rigging, and as strong as the strongest (i.e. most likely a second forestay) , plus two do-it-yourself end fittings, and you are set.
I definitely considered your points about the mast! Having raced a car in the past, I understand the situation. And the boat I crewed on was definitely under way more stress than someone casually cruising. The point is becoming moot, I made an offer on the other boat which is coming with more gear. They are both holes in the water where I will throwing money for a while...

Thanks everyone for your excellent insight.

Chris
Old 01-19-2012

robinhood007 is on a distinguished road
I'll go for Tapered Mast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.