SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Tapered Mast vs. Standard Mast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/82767-tapered-mast-vs-standard-mast.html)

gadangit 01-16-2012 10:38 PM

Tapered Mast vs. Standard Mast

I am comparing two sister 39' boats for purchase and could use some input.

One has the original mast with brand new wire rope standing rigging and sta locs. The other has a "Custom Deluxe Tapered Black Anodized Racing Spar" with solid rod rigging (and other features that lead me to believe there is a racing background.)

My intended use is for long term cruising with plenty of foreign ports of call.

I've read enough about the rod rigging to factor that in as something I'd probably swap out prior to leaving.

All other things being equal, is there a concern with a tapered mast for use?

Any input is appreciated!

Chris

mikieg 01-16-2012 11:06 PM

what is wrong with rod rigging?

zz4gta 01-16-2012 11:50 PM

What is wrong with a tappered mast?

mikieg 01-17-2012 01:16 AM

i guess tapered and rod rigged masts are not capable of long term cruising. especially if one is planning to call on plenty of foreign ports!

celenoglu 01-17-2012 03:22 AM

Both types of rigging and masts are safe enough. This is or the same type rigging. I one of them is fractional and the other full, the fractional will require more attenttion than the full. ractional rigs are much better for racing but the rig is much prone to failure therefore not recommended for shorthanded cruising.

gadangit 01-17-2012 07:17 AM

mikieg-
Thanks for the reply. The post was about the mast more than the rigging. I've not owned a rod rigged boat, but have no doubt they are every bit as strong and good as wire rope. From what I've read so far, carrying a spare rod was not possible. Like I said, it was only what I read.

Any constructive thoughts about whether a tapered mast is any less durable? Or is it actually better?

gadangit 01-17-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4gta (Post 817594)
What is wrong with a tappered mast?

Nothing that I am aware of. But it can't hurt to ask, right? So, what do you think about the two options? Is one more durable than the other? Why aren't there more tapered masts out there?

tommays 01-17-2012 09:06 AM

It is a bit of a bitch to know when rod is at the end of its service life BUT NAVTEC has a good guide about the service life of rod and wire

Probem with rod is that it is hard to look at the heads as they are the weak link and hidden in fitting

-OvO- 01-17-2012 09:21 AM

The rod vs wire rigging question has a few different threads already at SN. I would guess that the reason there aren't more tapered masts is that it is much much easier (hence cheaper) to manufacture a straight piece of tubing. I'm not even remotely a naval engineer, but tapered masts make sense to me.

gadangit 01-17-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -OvO- (Post 817680)
I would guess that the reason there aren't more tapered masts is that it is much much easier (hence cheaper) to manufacture a straight piece of tubing. I'm not even remotely a naval engineer, but tapered masts make sense to me.

Thanks, I agree with the tapered mast having windage and weight advantages over a non-tapered mast. What I'm wondering about is whether the desirability to save weight and windage in a racing application might have longer term issues on durability over time for something that will be sailed for more miles and not near a tow boat. Granted, lots of what ifs. But my crusing kitty wants to know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by -OvO- (Post 817680)
The rod vs wire rigging question has a few different threads already at SN.

I know! :) That is how I came to my conclusions and I very much appreciate SN for that info. I've tried to keep us focused...