Help! 2000 Yamaha 9.9 won't pee while running - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 01-19-2012

Since all your lines appear to be clear, and the impeller "appears" to be intact, it should be checked for slippage. Sometimes the rubber part breaks away from the center collar, or somehow the shaft key gets dis-lodged. Try holding the impeller while turning the shaft, to see if anything slips. If that's OK try checking the shaft itself for any slippage.
Concerning the thermostat, The PO probably removed it as a temporary fix for overheating, but a faulty thermostat would not cause a pee hole flow stoppage.
Marc

P.S. Since the lower end is already off, the impeller should be changed regardless.

Last edited by gershel; 01-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to gershel For This Useful Post:
chdawebb (05-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-22-2016

Re: Help! 2000 Yamaha 9.9 won't pee while running

Well its May 2016 and I broke out my sailboat for the season. It has a Yamaha 9.9 outboard. I'm not sure exactly of the model year but between 1997-1999. As I do with with my boats every year i check the engine after winter storage. This year i have no cooling water coming out of the pee hole. I checked for clog in the exiting tubing and found it clear. I hauled the boat off to the marina for repair. After getting home I did some research and discovered there is a thermostat. Now I wonder if i prematurely took the boat to the marina without doing my diligent troubleshooting. Did I do the right thing or can it be something as simple as a thermostat? Would this be something the marina would check or will they just jump in and remove the lower unit?
Thanks,
Chuck
chdawebb2003@gmail.com
post #13 of 16 Old 05-23-2016

Chuck

Most often when this happens, I've found a blocked pee hole (as has been mentioned above). That's the easy fix.

Dropping the lower unit is sometimes a pain, but after you do it once it's not too hard. There is typically a way to disconnect the shift linkage, then if everything isn't too rusted up, loosen the bolts and off it comes. Then doing the impeller, might as well do the whole pump rebuild kit which includes some gaskets, wear items, and other stuff. That part is pretty straight forward. When you put it back on, there's some fussing to make sure the tube which delivers water up to the engine is aligned with a gasket on the pump, and the shift mechanism is reconnected and adjusted correctly. I've done this on 3 different small outboards, and they each have a different way of doing the shift linkage.

If there is a thermostat, that's a good theory on what's wrong. Think about this poor thermostat living in salt water for a few years and gradually corroding away. Much easier to replace than the impeller.

Marina's might do anything based on the skill and experience level of the tech. Might want to suggest they replace the thermostat first, worst case you've got a new thermostat before they do the harder job. Unless everything is frozen together, if I can do a water pump in an hour, I imagine someone who actually knows what they are doing would be faster so this shouldn't cost a fortune.
Parts are relatively cheap by boat bucks standards.

Good luck!
chdawebb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
chdawebb (05-23-2016)
post #14 of 16 Old 05-23-2016

I'm not sure the thermostat would cause your problem.
Just looked in my manual and as far as I can tell you should still be getting flow even if the thermostat is closed, water should just bypass and flow out the exit. Nowhere does it mention no cooling flow with a stuck thermostat.
They claim the only way to know is to remove it and do the hot water trick. Nothing about flow as a diagnosis.
Based on the manual and your description it sounds like the impeller or blocked passages.
I know mine flows when the thermostat is closed, lake is still just above freezing and haven't been out yet in temps above 20C. I have good flow right from start up when in theory the thermostat should be closed.
LOL unless it's been stuck open for years....
miatapaul, capecodda and chdawebb like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanski For This Useful Post:
chdawebb (05-23-2016)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-23-2016

This engine in on a 26 foot sailboat (on trailer). I didn't want the neighborhood association to start and complain. I already had it parked in front of the house for two days. So off to the marina. If it were on a smaller boat i would has exhausted my troubleshooting ability before taking it to the marina.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-23-2016

Hey I think Tanski thinking is right, take back my comments about thermostat, but if it's been in there for a while might change it anyway because it will corrode and go bad especially if you are in salt water. Good luck on this, let us know what it turns out to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
chdawebb (05-23-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.