Removing vinyl from life line - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-18-2012 Thread Starter

Removing vinyl from life line

Anybody have any advise on removing vinyl from life lines? This is a renovation and I would like to remove old, cracked covering to see the condition of the lines. So far this is going very slowly. I would like to reuse if they are in good condition, with no vinyl.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

I removed mine this past summer from my C-27. I used a knife blade that I could carefully guide with both hands, like a spoke shave and just cut one side off and pealed the remaining layer. subsequently used metal polish on the cable to clean it up. It did not take all that long, being brittle. You need to be careful not to cut into the wire. All in all not that difficult and looks better.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

The easiest way to remove vinyl from lifelines is to remove the entire lifeline and replace the entire lifeline with new uncoated wirerope. Seriously, by the time the vinyl is shot, typically the wirerope is also shot and dangerous to keep. Current standards discourage the use of vinyl covered lifelines.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

ISAF has also approved single braid Dyneema for lifelines.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

I was thinking of doing the same thing but as I removed the about 10' vinyl coating, I saw two potential eroded areas, not a lot, but some. I ended up replacing my coated lifelines with uncoated 1/4" (although 3/16" would be okay), 1x19 ss 316 wire rope. I reused all loose hardware but installed all new swage studs. Took less then a day, in my garage and was fairly easy.
Also you will be removing vinyl on 7x7 wire rope and if you go bare, the recommended wire is 1x19.
Good luck.

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
post #6 of 14 Old 01-18-2012
Semper Fidelis

I say take a razor blade scraper and just run it down the length of the wire flat like youre scraping paint. Keep it at a low angle and it wont cut in. When youre done take a cotton ball and wrap it around the bare lifeline and run it along the wire in one direction. Broken strands will catch the cotton and highlight areas of concern. Repeat the process in the opposite direction after inspecting to catch broken wires facing the other way.

Use symbal polish on the wire afterwards. Symbal polish looks like oily cotton in a tin can. Its used to clean symbals (No sht) on drumsets. Wad it up around the wire and rub it back and forth a few times. She'll clean right up. You can find symbal polish at any major music store. It's also used to polish guitar frets.

Lastly, take pictures and post an article on here documenting what you did so others may benefit.

-Matt

-S/V Far Niente

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-18-2012
I don't discuss my member

Go to dyneema, and be done with it in 2 hours.

Merit 25 # 764 "Audrey"
post #8 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
What are the disadvantages of Dynema?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 14 Old 01-18-2012

UV and abrasion.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
UV and abrasion.
Fairly serious disadvantages for something that spends its life in the sun being rubbed against.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.