SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   chainplate and rigging col29 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/82897-chainplate-rigging-col29.html)

flo617 01-19-2012 04:54 PM

chainplate and rigging col29

Hello, I have a columbia 29 and I think it's about time she gets her rigging changed. The issue is that she has glassed in chainplates. It was fine for the last season but I realized that I don't like it at all as there is no way to inspect them and I have paranoiac tendencies. So I was thinking that I should look into that too.

Has anyone done a modification to move them outboard or glassed in knees for that purpose?

Am I looking at a huge price for that work?

In SF, I mainly sail on a 90% jib and I was actually toying with the idea of adding a club to the jib. So outboard fittings would probably not affect me much in terms of performances. Adding to that is also the fact that the chainplates are already pretty close to the edge. I'm mainly worried about cost (provided that any retained solution would be adequately robust). Would I need to have my spreader changed too?

Finally, any rigger recommended for this type of work on the SF bay? I was thinking of going to KKMI.

Thanks,

Florent

MarkSF 01-19-2012 05:03 PM

I've used these guys in Alameda for a couple of small jobs. They have a good reputation.

Rigging Services | Yacht Racing | Sailboat Rigging

The only problem seems to be availability. You always have to wait for a couple of weeks. Guess this means that they're popular....

I think they'll do the work in your slip. Might be cheaper than a haulout at a yard?

Where are you berthed?

mitiempo 01-20-2012 01:25 AM

Changing to outboard chainplates is not quite as easy as moving them. The hull will have to be beefed up internally where they will be mounted. If you are paying for a yard or somebody to do this instead of doing it yourself it can get pretty expensive.

Here are a few links from Plastic Classic concerning chainplate mounting - external and otherwise. It is a popular topic there.

Plastic Classic Forum • View topic - Replacing glassed-in chainplates

Plastic Classic Forum • View topic - chainplate knees??

Plastic Classic Forum • View topic - chainplate knees??

Plastic Classic Forum • View topic - "Encapsulated" chainplates

It is a site worth visiting as it is exclusively concerned with boats like yours and mine. Plastic Classic Forum • Index page

flo617 01-20-2012 12:26 PM

Hi Marc,

I'll check them out, thanks, I am at pier39 marina in SF.

Hi Brian, I am not married to an option but it seemed like putting them outside might be easier, there is no knee inside to hang them and then all the chainplates would have to be ground out and freed from the hull where they attach. If I left them there, they would help stiffening the hull.

I agree that it's better to do repair by yourself but I'm a full time engineer and I live one hour away from my boat (and I don't have a garage). I try to do what I can but this is beyond what I can do within any reasonable timeframe.

Florent