SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Painting in winter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/82913-painting-winter.html)

alanr77 01-20-2012 08:03 AM

Painting in winter

Looking for some thoughts on this subject:

I am running behind on my projects- I'm sure this happens to everyone- and it is becoming apparent that I may need to paint the interior of my boat over the winter. Now, I live in Savannah, Ga so my winters are very mild. It has been hitting 68 during the day lately though I don't expect this to last.

My question is this, my paint (interlux) says to only paint when it is above 50F. I believe I can run a heater inside the boat to maintain this even if it only hits 40F outside. However, I am sure that condensation will form as it has already on the hatches during some 40F days with just me inside sanding.

How would I go about doing this? Should I just get all the prep work done and wait until March-April to actually do the painting? During our winters there are many days when it gets above 50F for at least 4 hours. What about timing the painting to be done during this? I would imagine suface temps on the fiberglass do not warm up as quickly so would this create an issue?

Siamese 01-20-2012 09:05 AM

Why not just run the heater. Electric? Ought to put out some pretty dry heat. Won't that eliminate the condensation? Why not run it and find out?

JimsCAL 01-20-2012 09:57 AM

I would do the prep and wait for warmer weather. That's were most of the time is spent anyway. Getting the surfaces warm enough for a proper cure is going to be harder than you think. And if you have a problem, getting the paint off to begin again is going to be a real pain.

Faster 01-20-2012 10:23 AM

Agree with Jim.... you only want to do this once, and after all that prep work it would be awful for it to turn to some kind of mess due to impatience.

If the boat's ready to paint that's the majority of the work anyhow, the actual painting won't take long. Most likely you can find other chores/project areas to nibble at thru the winter cold.

Barquito 01-20-2012 11:34 AM

The night time lows in Savannah only get down to 40F or so. With a short stretch of slightly warmer temps and a couple of 300 watt shop lights, I bet the temp would easily stay above 50F inside the boat. Condensation still could be a problem.

alanr77 01-20-2012 12:07 PM

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. The project list is long so there are plenty of other things to do. I have been working on, sanding and filling the interior of this boat every day for two months and just want to see some progress...... I think it would be smart to just wait.

MarkSF 01-20-2012 02:01 PM

Don't forget you'll be painting in a confined space. The fumes from polyurethane paint are nasty. You need plenty of ventilation, and ideally an organic vapour filtering respirator.

JR828 01-20-2012 06:06 PM

Dont do it! I am literally in the same proverbial boat. wait until it gets warmer and use this time for prep work: removing things, sanding, planning, We have mild winters but very wet dewy mornings that kill hard work.

Brent Swain 01-20-2012 06:56 PM

A friend had problems getting his paint to dry in winter ,until he installed a dehumidifier. Then it dried quickly.

bljones 01-20-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanr77 (Post 819147)
just want to see some progress......

Any parts that you can take off and take home and paint in the basement? Any brightwork to be varnished? I know what you mean about slogging through the gruntwork and getting antsy to get some shine on and feel like something, anything, is done. That's why I like to intersperse the big projects with little hit-and-run jobs, like varnishing a magazine rack or somesuch.