SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Which Manual Bilge Pump?

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Brent Swain 
#1 ·
I need a manual bilge pump for my Montgomery 17.

I want to be able to operate it from the cockpit but I also want it to look somewhat decent. WM has one that I think fits the bill for placement and looks but I am not sure about the handle on it. Apparently the cover doubles also as the handle for the pump. Just by the looks of it I am not sure if this is a feasible handle or not.

Does anyone have experience with a pump like this? Any opinions?
JOHNSON PUMP Pump-blg at West Marine

#2 ·
Some are engineered to make sure you have no option but to use only their parts, and can't substitute anything. I weld up my own manual pumps out of scrap stainless. They are quite simple. Any good metal worker can easily make his own.

#4 ·
On a boat that size, just carry your anchor and line in a five gallon pail. If you spring a leak, dump out the bucket and use it. If you want something to slurp up a bit of rain & spray, get one of those cheap plastic "Navy" draw pumps as well - about $15 or $20 IIRC.

#8 · (Edited)
.... or woman!;)

I like the idea of the 'built in' handle.. nothing to lose - but I suspect that the difficulty in use mentioned above may well prove true. Certainly there's reduced leverage compared to the one that Brian posted.. for $20 difference it's probably the better choice.

#7 · (Edited)
I doubt one of those little Johnson pumps would be very comfortable to use for more than a few strokes. I would opt for something with a more ergonomic handle. The Whale pump that mitiempo points out looks much better. Also, remember that for the same size hole a small boat will sink faster than a larger boat. Which calls into question whether on should always thing a small boat needs a small pump.

#10 ·
that pump is the same type as the new Whale Smartbail it does not have the same output as the other pumps with a handle. 9gmp vs 17 gmp. it can be operated by hand or foot. advantage is you won't loose the handle. the bigger pump won't even put of 9 gpm if you can't find the handle

#12 ·
Brent, down in the States you'd find that even "scrap" stainless is jealously guarded and sold by the inch. Yes, it is obscene but that's the way it goes. Of course if you already own the welding gear you can troll the trash--but not the trash heaps, they charge to dump and they sell metal scrap in bulk.
You couldn't buy a square foot of it much thicker than cooking foil for the price of a store bought bilge pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.