Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The shaft is firmly attached to the coupling and the coupling is bolted to the transmission. The transmission fluid has nothing to do with the electrical connection. You can check with a multimeter to confirm.

As Maine stated, unless there is a flexible coupling, which eliminates the metal to metal connection at the coupling the shaft brush isn't needed. If there is a flexible coupling a wire jumper from the transmission side to the shaft side can make the connection and is less hassle than a shaft brush.
I have yet to come across a single gear box that did not have continuity between the shaft and the engien block UNLESS it had a Drivesaver inserted between.

The ABYC considers the engine "ship ground" in most installations. This "ground/Earth" uses the shaft to get there... The only time a shaft brush should be needed is when the shaft is isolated via a Drivesaver or similar....

What I want to know is what "desk wonk" writes these articles? Did they forget about the bearings, shafts and metal to metal contact....??
mitiempo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Get over it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
You need to haul out to do the stuffing box properly. If there's a bearing or shaft issue, it's all problematic. There's nothing wrong with grounding the shaft with a brush. If it had been done in the first place this issue would have not been as traumatic. it's a boat get over it. Sometimes you have to pull without a moments notice; this is one of those times.
Yet, another country heard from! Kinda missed my point. I had decided to replace the stuffing box and have no problem hauling if I need to. In fact, I was fully prepared to haul if my diver said "Replace it in the water? Are you nuts?" Though, based on some of the responses, I was somewhat reluctant to even motor it to a yard! However, he said, "no big deal, see it all the time". I consider him conservative, he's not one to take short cuts or risks.
So, I'm simply bewildered by the variety of opinions and information I've received on a fairly basic issue. Everything from, "don't tap it, it might shatter and sink the boat" or "boats go forty years without a brush and don't look like this", or "if it had a brush, it wouldn't be this traumatic (I'm not "traumatized", just confused BTW)" or "put some grease on it, it'll be fine!".
As always, I'm grateful for the input. However, the range of these opinions, and other information I've obtained (The trany fluid theory didn't make sense to me BTW, but what do I know?!) is rather startling! I mean...we're not talking String Theory here!
So, thanks for identifying it as a "boat". I wasn't sure about that. However, please don't tell me to "get over it". Hauling when needed is prudent. Unnecessarily hauling is simply stupid! I'd just love to be on the hard and have the yard mechanic say "why are you replacing this?"

Last edited by L124C; 02-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2012

Took out the Ohm meter. While the stuffing Box is conected to the motor, it doesn't appear to be a very strong connection. Think I'll bond it!
Old 02-08-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Took out the Ohm meter. While the stuffing Box is conected to the motor, it doesn't appear to be a very strong connection. Think I'll bond it!
Good choice. I don't think I misunderstood you; it's all in the translation.
Old 02-08-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
It makes no sense at all to me that your strut ,through hulls and other bronze parts are fine and the log is damaged as i have not seen damage without and electric issue on your boat or one close by or a hot dock issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-08-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
We recently removed our bronze prop shaft for replacement as it was worn at the cutless bearing. Given that our boat was hauled (on the hard) we removed the 43 year old stuffing box which looked a bit like yours - maybe not quite as corroded looking.
We took the stuffing box home and used a wire wheel on it and it now looks like new (see pic below). We will be using most of the old components when we put the drive train back together with the exception of a new shaft log hose and a new cutless bearing.
What I'm getting at is perhaps you should try using a wire wheel drill attachment and see if you can clean up the metal on the stuffing box. My guess is that it is probably not as bad as some might think.
Of course, this is the last place you want to start an accidental leak in which case you will be hauling out, and fast. Work carefully, slowly and deliberately and you should be fine.

I didn't see if you had a drive saver in your set up. Do you? If so then the comments about grounding the shaft across the drive saver are on the mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Pink metal on stuffing box-stuffingbx-all-cleaned-up.jpg  

Everybody has one:

Old 08-03-2013

Re: Pink metal on stuffing box

Grounded the stuffing box to neg. DC (yellow wire in picture) months ago. Just noticed this ring of white powder. Wonder if there is a connection (caused by the connection ).
Checked the drip rate, definitely not running hot. Powder dissolved quickly when rinsed, but shouldn't be salt right?
Attached Thumbnails
Pink metal on stuffing box-0726131420.jpg   Pink metal on stuffing box-0726131421.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Grounded the stuffing box to neg. DC (yellow wire in picture) months ago. Just noticed this ring of white powder. Wonder if there is a connection (caused by the connection ).
Checked the drip rate, definitely not running hot. Powder dissolved quickly when rinsed, but shouldn't be salt right?
It'll be a salt (not necessarily the sodium chloride variety) for sure and is a tell-tale sign of electrolysis.

It's an indication that some metal in your stuffing box is electrically connected to a different type of metal and, in the presence of salt water, is slowly being eaten away.. Best get that looked at by a knowledgeable shipwright.
Old 08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
It'll be a salt (not necessarily the sodium chloride variety) for sure and is a tell-tale sign of electrolysis.

It's an indication that some metal in your stuffing box is electrically connected to a different type of metal and, in the presence of salt water, is slowly being eaten away.. Best get that looked at by a knowledgeable shipwright.
I thought that was why I bonded it to Neg. DC as the only other metal it's connected to is the stainless shaft. Didn't have the white powder until I did that! Confusing to say the least! Wonder why it's only at that spot? Anyway, the advice to have it looked at seems prudent.
Old 08-05-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I thought that was why I bonded it to Neg. DC as the only other metal it's connected to is the stainless shaft. Didn't have the white powder until I did that! Confusing to say the least! Wonder why it's only at that spot? Anyway, the advice to have it looked at seems prudent.
L124C, sorry I'm late to this party, but there are as many opinions about bonding or not bonding as there are posts in this thread.

IMO, having experienced something similar before, I would say this is happening because of the bonding and is the inside of your bronze stuffing box protecting your stainless shaft. If I were in your position, I'd disconnect the bonding wire and have someone investigate (a) the condition, quantity and location of your anodes and (b) the gland packing you're using - but I'm not in your place and your situation might be different. FWIW, it is possible to be over-protected, but that's usually only a problem on timber boats..

Last edited by Classic30; 08-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.