Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Strange shroud hardware.

Noticed this hardware on the rear shroud of an Ericson and didn't like the look of it. Don't like the angle at which the shroud bends forward above the hardware either! (I'm holding another unrelated cable out of the way of the shot) Seems like it turns the shroud 90 degrees too far to maintain a natural line. To my eye, the rigging looks very tired in general. But then...I'm no Rigger. What does it do (other than obviously connecting the shroud to the boat). Is it necessary and/or legitimate?
Edit: I no sooner posted this, than it occurred to me it must be a quick release to lower the mast using a Tabernacle! Still don't like the look of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Strange shroud hardware.-0123121327.jpg   Strange shroud hardware.-0123121327b.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 01-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
That is a Hyfield Lever designed to easily release a stay or shroud that can be set up tightly. The rust may or may not be significant. t can easily be removed with Wink or Spotless Stainless Steel cleaner After which the wire can be inspected. Considering the size of the wire and turn-buckle, it would cost very little to replace the wire if is is very old and might be a wise precaution and an open barrel turn-buckle is preferable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-23-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Is it just the picture color, or is that a rusty brown cable...? It looks terible from here...
Old 01-23-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Noticed this hardware on the rear shroud of an Erickson and didn't like the look of it. Don't like the angle at which the shroud bends forward above the hardware either! Is it necessary and/or legitimate?
Edit: I no sooner posted this, than it occurred to me it must be a quick release to lower the mast using a Tabernacle! Still don't like the look of it!
Yes, it's legitimate; it's a Pelican Hook. Google it.
It's not a Hyfield Lever. Google it.
Old 01-23-2012

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road
If this were any part of my rig I'd be more concerned about the rusty eye on the deck this attaches to. this hardware is not prudent to hold up any rig. only quick releases used in standing rigging may be for a inner fore stay. get rid of it. That wire & rust at the turnbuckle I wouldn't consider 1 minute before recomending replacment.
Old 01-23-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Is the color spectrum on my computer screen off, or is no one concerned about the rusty crusty cable..?

I know this thread is about the hardware, but that cable should be reason enough to scrap the rigging...
Old 01-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
EEK!

I like creative, home-grown solutions, but not when they're holding the rig up!

Doesn't look suitable for a flag halyard to me. The padeye isn't strong, it's not a hayfield lever by any stretch, the wire is rusty, and what kind of wire is that anyway???

This reminds me of when I was shanghaied into sailing a death-trap of a Bayliner buccaneer in 20+kt winds. The winds were probably closer to 25kts when I looked back and saw one of the two backstays being held on by a shackle that had was being side loaded and was missing it's pin!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2012

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Pelican hook

Like Sea Hunter said, it's a pelican hook. (and "Ericson" doesn't have a "k")
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
It's a pelican hook doubling as a makeshift Highfield lever. The bending moment that has warped the whole lashup is caused by the fact that the toggle has been has been negated by the slip lock ring that keeps the lever closed. Instead of being free to swivel and line up the turnbuckle and wire with the load path, it is trapped at the level of the ring - the bending force now runs through the middle of the turnbuckle. If a toggle isn't free to flex, it might as well not be there.

I agree the wire looks pretty suspect as well - oxidation around the throat of the swage.

At a minimum, take it apart, polish the parts thoroughly until shiny bright and check them under high magnification for any sort of cracks - VERY fine cracks are just as bad as big nasty looking ones. If it all passes, open up the turnbuckle far enough to pin the toggle to that chainplate - that will allow the rigging to flex properly. Leave the pelican hook and the shackle out entirely.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-24-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
It's a pelican hook doubling as a makeshift Highfield lever.
It's a simple pelican hook doubling as itself. Both Defender and WM sell this albeit a more modern design. A highfield lever, stretches and binds rigging; with a pelican hook the rigging tension is set, allowing the rigging to be connected and disconnected (for lowering the mast) without having to adjusting the tension on the turnbuckle.