Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
From BoatUS insurance on causes of boat fires .....

6) Stove - 1%
Got a number for the proportion of boat explosions caused by propane stoves? I can give you a pretty good estimate for the proportion cause by non-pressurized alcohol stoves -- 0.0%.

Quote:
Stove fires appear to be less common (1%) than in the past, probably due to fewer [pressurized] alcohol stoves being installed on new boats. Still, alcohol can be a dangerous fuel; though it canít explode, an alcohol flame is hard to see....
[fixed your omission for clarity]

A modicum of common sense goes a long way with any stove. Holding ones hand over the burner for a second or two is a pretty fool-proof test of whether the burner is on.

Yes, pressurized alcohol stoves are/were problematic. ANY pressurized fuel is more dangerous than a non-pressurized fuel. But, that was not the type of stove being discussed. Modern marine alcohol stoves are non-pressurized. Somehow, I would think that a "surveyor" would be able to tell the difference.

Quote:
We love to cook and eat well, so we'll stick to our 3-burner propane stove with oven that is installed according to ABYC standards.
Nothing like bringing an explosive gas on board and then spending all sorts of time and money trying to make sure that it doesn't explode. Right?

Quote:
Next time you heat up some beans on your alcohol burner, don't forget to take the label off the can .... As per ABYC the label is not fire retardent
I can't remember the last time I warmed up any beans on the boat. However, I had an extremely relaxing evening on the boat a couple of nights ago: I warmed up some lentil soup, cooked a pot of rice, and fried up a couple of steaks (and caramelized onions; yummy) on my non-pressurized alcohol stove. I also made some espresso (for myself) and boiled some water for tea (for The Admiral) after dinner. AND I never had to worry about making sure the tank valve was off (or on), or worry about some little electronic gizmo in the bilge working properly, or worry about a dozen different fittings/hoses/etc. not leaking. Very relaxing.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 01-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
BoatUS says 1% of boat fires are started by stoves and reports only one instance of a propane fire caused by some idiot knocking a portable propane (not ABYC approved) stove off a counter.
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
BoatUS says 1% of boat fires are started by stoves and reports only one instance of a propane fire caused by some idiot knocking a portable propane (not ABYC approved) stove off a counter.
You did see the words "boat explosions" in my post, didn't you??
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 01-24-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yes the pressure gauges are for leak checking, and AYBC requires them for that purpose. They don't give much indication what's in the tank.

I installed a Xintex leak detector recently that has one sensor. I couldn't decide whether to install the sensor in the bilge or under the stove. I put it in the bilge in the end.

Should I have put it under the stove?

Could I add another problem I found on my boat? The wires to the solenoid valve fastened to the gas line with cable ties. AYBC code is to run the wires separately in case they get hot, so they don't melt through the gas line. Going to fix that soon.
Depends on the bilge. Shallow bilges, especially if they have water in them occasionally, are not a great place for the sensor. Water destroys sensors - not over time but quickly. I installed one today under a stove.
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Great post and very timely since I'm about to install such a system in my boat. The tanks will be hung on the stern rail so no locker is required. I would like to feed the fuel line through the deck using a bulkhead mounted feed through but that that would violate the no connection rule other than to the tank and the appliance. How is the line normally fed through the deck or bulkhead?
One of these:
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous propane systems-3.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Boatpoker,

The system on my boat seems to comply with everything here except for a sniffer under the range. With prices from $50 to $300 any thoughts on choosing a detector?

Thanks
Jim
This is the one I install often and own myself. Propane Leak Detectors for Boats and RVs

The preferred one is on the right at the link, with solenoid control built-in. Not only does it combine the solenoid switch but if it detects a leak it closes the solenoid automatically. The one in the middle is the same without the solenoid control. The basic one on the left I never use.
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Depends on the bilge. Shallow bilges, especially if they have water in them occasionally, are not a great place for the sensor. Water destroys sensors - not over time but quickly. I installed one today under a stove.
What if the system leaks somewhere upstream of the stove and the propane then settles in the bilge without ever getting near the sensor?
Old 01-24-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
You did see the words "boat explosions" in my post, didn't you??
You did't see "explode" in the BoatUS stats either
Old 01-24-2012

Depends on the boat. The one I installed today was on a Catalina 30 and the bilge in front of the stove it is about 2 1/2 " deep. The only place it could leak is if the hose ruptured. On a boat with only one appliance - a stove - it works well.

Nothing wrong with adding a bilge sensor as a second one - the detector I linked to accepts 2. But I would not want my only sensor in the bilge. One splash and it is dead.
Old 01-24-2012

Boatpoker

If a high pressure solenoid is used it can be first in line before the regulator.

from your site:
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous propane systems-10.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.