Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012

TravelinJack is on a distinguished road
@ Perithead - The biggest repair I can see so far is yanking out the swing keel and taking care of the rust issues. It looks like one of the cleats was damaged at it's mounting points and they did a rather ugly repair job. I seems solid, but I'm a little to OCD to let it slide. My buddy with the hanger knows how to do fiberglass repair, so we are going to fix that up. A couple of the trim boards around the hatch need to be replaced as well. The bow pulpit is a little out of whack, so I'm going to see if I can get it straightened out since stainless steel aint cheep.

I did set up that blog, but I haven't put anything on it yet. I'll post the address when I get something on there.

I do have this 48 Evinrude Zephyr laying around my garage. I'm wondering if I should fix it up as well and use that for my outboard, but I'm not sure if the shaft is long enough. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
TJ,
Being able to work indoors is a huge plus. Another site to check out is catalinaowners.com. They have a section just for C22 owners, and the sites Barquito recommneded are excellent.

Believe it or not Catalina still supports these boats. A few years back I was able to get manuals and information from Catalina on our 1994 C22. If you register in the owners section you can download the original brochure and see how she looked new.

They're great boats. Best of luck with her,
Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinJack View Post
The bow pulpit is a little out of whack, so I'm going to see if I can get it straightened out since stainless steel aint cheep.
Keep an eye on Ebay and Craigs List for the bow pulpit.

You need a long shaft motor and I didn't see a motor mount in the pics.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-24-2012

Thank you Jim, I just registered with them as an owner last night. The oldest brochure I saw was for the mkII though. I believe they started making those in 86 or something like that. I did email them to request the manuals and already got a reply back that they would be sending me some information. I was definitely impressed. I also just got set up on catalina owners under the same name as on here.

I gotta say, it's really cool to see how quick people are to chime in and help out. It's a huge help, and definitely appreciated!

Thank ya,
T.J.
Old 01-24-2012

I had a feeling that might be the case. I do have a new adjustable motor mount that came with the boat, but was never mounted. It seems I'll be trolling craigslist in the near future for something with a longer reach.
Old 01-25-2012

Also check out
http://www.catalina22.org/

They have their own magazine called Main Brace for C22 owners that has great articles on repairs/upgrades that's included with membership.

Here's a sample issue online:
http://www.catalina22.org/mainbraces...nbracesample09

They also have a book-on-CD that includes a ton of articles on fixing common problems that crop up with these boats and answers common questions.

Here's a link to the history of the boat (61 pages)
http://www.catalina22.org/documents/...lina22Book.pdf
You do know that more C22's have been built than any other sailboat model right?

Also I saw that the local C22 fleet is based right in your town. They would be a good source for parts and information as well.
http://www.catalina22.org/index.php?...ion-4&Itemid=9

Again best of luck with her. We loved our 22, they're great boats and you'll have a lot of fun with her.

Jim

Old 01-25-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Looks good Jack, congrats on your new boat!

Did it come with mast/sails? Are the cb and rudder in working order? I think a C-22 is a great boat to mess around with, since it is small enough that projects don't take too long to complete, and don't cost too much either.
Old 01-25-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Good job dude! Keep the progress pics coming!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-25-2012

Once again Jim I do appreciate it. Lots of good info there. In fact I shouldn't have checked sailnet while I was at work. I ended up spending an hour and a half surfing those sites, and ended up having to stay late. I probably didn't learn my lesson though.

@Peterchech - I do have the mast(with spreaders intact) and the boom. Luckily the main sail was kept out of the sunlight for the past 15 years in a sailbag. I've taken it out and every thing seems to be in tip top shape with it. The previous owners had purchased the main a few months before the boat was put away and never used again. Unfortunately the jib didn't fare so well. I even have a good main sail cover. I still need to go back and dig through their mountain of crap in their garage to locate the rudder, but they say that it is in there somewhere. I did find the tiller however. As for the cb, it doesn't look pretty but it goes up and down. I'll be pulling it out once I get it to my buddies hangar and getting it cleaned up. Cool thing though, as I was digging through some of the boxes of stuff that came with the boat, I found a treasure trove of brass and stainless steel screws, bolts, cleats and other doodads they bought a while ago when they were planning on fixing it up. Needless to say, I'm a pretty stoked dude right now. Looking forward to tomorrow when the weather clears so I can finish cleaning out the inards.

@Landlocked - Thanks dude! I most certainly will!
Old 01-25-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Will it still have as much integrity as a straight block of wood? It looks like a stairwell post.
My thoughts exactly, Donna! I am blown away by the thought that all C22s of the period came with that kind of post. It looks like something from Home Depot. Apparently it works sufficiently well.

Even if he puts it on the to-do list to replace, it will be far down in comparison to other items mentioned after our posts.

Tom
Pasadena, MD