Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012

TravelinJack is on a distinguished road
My C-22 Project

I picked up a project boat this past weekend after a year of planning to go down and pick it up. With work and preparing for my girlfriend to leave for Navy boot camp, I just kept putting it off. Not to mention the trailer needed a new axle and some rubber to make the journey to Austin, TX. Well she is now off in Great Lakes, IL for a few months and I have something to occupy my time while she is gone. After four hours, I finally got the axle swapped out (which I robbed from my work trailer temporarily). I do love the idea of a galvanized trailer with steel u-bolts holding it together. Then it was time to move on to the black magic that is the world of trailer lights. Another four hours, and that was finally finished. Normally these tasks would not take me this long, but I was an hour from the nearest decent sized town, and running to the hardware store was not an option. By 11:30pm it was time to hit the road. (Hopefully I'm inserting the images correctly)

[IMG][/IMG]

I finally got home from what is usually less than a two hour drive in just over 3 to some very unhappy dogs. I was a little concerned about the structural integrity of the bolts and the water in the bilge so I kept it around 55 the whole way.

Here's what she looked like when I got up the next morning.

After pressure washing...

Then came the task of tackling the inside after work on Monday.

After using a shop vac and a brush, I was able to knock the rough off it.

No more standing water!

So, when it stops raining I'll get back in there and continue the cleanup. I'm fortunate that I have all the main components intact, such as the mast, boom, winches etc.

With that, I do have a question for those that know. Will it cause damage if I pressure wash the inside of the boat and suck the water out as I go, or should I just go by a bunch of rags and cleaner and get after it? I don't mind the extra work as I don't want to take any steps backwards in this project. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper to finally have my own boat. Even if it does need some work, it's still mine!

Thanks for reading,
T.J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
If you are replacing all the wiring etc. inside the cabin anyway, I don't see why you could not pressure wash the inside. Just be careful that there are no exposed areas where you might force water into the core of the fiberglass. I probably would not spray the ports directly. Also, you will probably end up with a LOT of water inside the boat that will have to be pumped out. Otherwise why not.
VK540 likes this.
Old 01-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Maybe a lower volume spray, a scrub brush, and a shop-vac. Unless you completely tear the boat appart, you could be scrubbing for weeks.

The approach to the nasty/stinky boat I have is to do a basic scrubbing, targeting places you can see more than the ones you can't. Then starting with the anchor locker area, clean, prep, and paint with porch paint. Then move back one locker at a time. Boat projects always take way longer than you plan. Don't let it take away from sailing time.

I assume you have some basic resources:

catalinadirect.com
chipford.com/projects.htm
etc.
Old 01-24-2012

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I carefully pressure washed mine, which was in worse shape.
Use a wet/dry shopvac to get the water out
Not too hard...
You can do this in an afternoon if you work hard.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Maybe a lower volume spray, a scrub brush, and a shop-vac. Unless you completely tear the boat appart, you could be scrubbing for weeks.

The approach to the nasty/stinky boat I have is to do a basic scrubbing, targeting places you can see more than the ones you can't. Then starting with the anchor locker area, clean, prep, and paint with porch paint. Then move back one locker at a time. Boat projects always take way longer than you plan. Don't let it take away from sailing time.

I assume you have some basic resources:

catalinadirect.com
chipford.com/projects.htm
etc.
Old 01-24-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS . you can use bath cleaner to polish the inside and make it smell nice (for fibre glass baths) I would use Oxalyic acid to clean the outside but you need to know what your doing this stuff can burn you. talk to your locan pharmacy and ask for giudence and advice (but it does bring the hull up grand) GO SAFE
Old 01-24-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Wow. That's quite a project. You have your work cut out for you. I'm always amazed that people take obviously wrong shortcuts and then don't take care of the results. Even so, that boat must have an interesting story! I must say, your replacement compression post looks positively spindly.

Have fun with while your GF is gone.
Pasadena, MD
Old 01-24-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
I must say, your replacement compression post looks positively spindly.
Will it still have as much integrity as a straight block of wood? It looks like a stairwell post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-25-2012

TravelinJack is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the pointers on the clean out, hopefully when the rain stops I'll be able to give it a go. I do believe I'll start with low pressure and see where that takes me.

As far as the compression post, that is what originally came with the boat. I wondered that same thing the first time I crawled in there about a year ago. All of the c-22's of that time period I've seen on sailboatlistings and similar sites with interior pictures have that same post in them. You can see it here in this ad:

1984 Catalina Sailboat sailboat for sale in Kansas

The plan is to get it all cleaned up and then take it out to my buddies hangar nearby in work on it indoors. Thanks again for all the advice.

T.J.
Old 01-25-2012
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Good deal Jack! Are their any major repairs that need to be done?

Have you considered making that blog?

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.