Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
With a dark blue (or black) solar cell deck, how hot is that going to be on bare feet?
or even how much heat transfer thru the deck ? (going to have to up the ac capacity)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Shadows will cut the output down by a large amount.
Old 01-25-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
ulferlingsson

What panels did you use and how did you connect them?
Old 01-25-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Also, I think the clear gelcoat (and textured gelcoat even more so) will cut the output more than you would expect. I say this because I talked to the architect of the local botanical gardens' big addition, and he explained that they had to use single-glazed glass instead of double-glazed because the extra layer of glazing would have meant that all the plants would starve to death in the winter. Who would have thought a layer of glass would substantially reduce insolation?

Not to say that it's a bad idea, you just have to overbuild the capacity. Pretty cool, imo.
Old 01-25-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
It will be very interesting to see how that holds up after some years of foot traffic and gear banging on deck, whether the panels develop microcracks and stress fractures or if they are durable enough to be installed that way, and keep working.
Old 01-25-2012

ulferlingsson is on a distinguished road
I'll reply to all if I remember... It's an Ensenada 20, almost the same as Balboa.

Shadows are a problem, to deal with that I have 2 x 47 cells, starboard and port are in parallel so if half is shadowed the other is still delivering full power. Also, if one cell is completely shadowed (as in someone sitting on it) it will act as a resistor and get very very hot. If 25% are shadowed no energy will be produced. To deal with that problem there are bypass diodes, 7 on each side, so that groups of cells can be completely bypassed.

As for the cells being dark and getting hot for that reason, remember that they convert the light to electricity instead of heat. However, the minimum energy light they can use is near infra-red, and anything with more energy (such as all visible light) has excess energy that cannot be converted to electricity but turns into heat. Still, it gets a lot less hot than a non-solar panel surface of the same color.

By the way, the blue color is from blue pearl, the cells are really black when embedded.
Old 01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
ulferlingsson

What panels did you use and how did you connect them?
6" x 6" solar cells bought on eBay. Get A grade, the others are inconsistent and lower power. If you buy a kit instructions come with it, I believe, but they are available on the net if you google. The cells can bend a little, enough to follow the normal bend of a deck. And use diodes, there are special solar cell diodes that are only a millimeter high and have minimal voltage drop. You also need a charging device, I got one good for 30 A that is automatic, can use from 36 to 72 cells and charge 12 V or 24 V.
Old 01-25-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
Love this.

I think the clear gelcoat (and textured gelcoat even more so) may cut the output more than you would expect. I say this because I talked to the architect of the local botanical gardens' big addition, and he explained that they had to use single-glazed glass instead of double-glazed because the extra layer of glazing would have meant that all the plants would starve to death in the winter. Who would have thought a layer of glass would substantially reduce insolation?

Not to say that it's a bad idea, you just have to overbuild the capacity. Pretty cool, imo.
Old 01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
Love this.

I think the clear gelcoat (and textured gelcoat even more so) may cut the output more than you would expect. I say this because I talked to the architect of the local botanical gardens' big addition, and he explained that they had to use single-glazed glass instead of double-glazed because the extra layer of glazing would have meant that all the plants would starve to death in the winter. Who would have thought a layer of glass would substantially reduce insolation?

I tested the change in output before I went ahead. It was not measurable with my voltmeter. The reason is that there is no air between the gelcoat and the solar cell. If there had been, it would have created specular reflection and a loss. However, the addition of too much blue pearl did lower the output a bit, I have yet to measure how much.
Old 01-26-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulferlingsson View Post
I tested the change in output before I went ahead. It was not measurable with my voltmeter. The reason is that there is no air between the gelcoat and the solar cell. If there had been, it would have created specular reflection and a loss. However, the addition of too much blue pearl did lower the output a bit, I have yet to measure how much.
In time won't the gel coat become scuffed and scratched? You'd have to be careful of what cleaners you use. I'd also worry about someone dropping anything heavy on the decks.

Sure hope you report back in a few yrs as to how it works out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.