SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Solar deck instead of solar panels (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/83068-solar-deck-instead-solar-panels.html)

ulferlingsson 01-24-2012 07:41 PM

Solar deck instead of solar panels

3 Attachment(s)
Ever wanted to have more solar power than you could fit panels? On my 20' trailer sailer there is not room for more than maybe 20 W or so of solar panels, but I wanted to install 12 V A/C, which uses some 300 W or so, so to recharge the batteries for the next night I would need about the same effect from the solar panels. Solar cells give about 150 W per square meter, so I would need 2 square meters of pure cells, not counting the lost space between them. The only way to fit that was to put the cells directly on the deck (which has an area of 3.6 square meters). What I did was to build the panel directly on the white gelcoat, and cover the whole thing in clear gelcoat so one can walk on the deck again (the anti-skid pattern has yet to be added). See photos (the gennaker pole was added in the same rebuild of this 40 years old boat).

Other possible uses of this much power is a water desalinator, and an electric outboard. I'm already looking forward to for ever leaving the gas tank at home.

DRFerron 01-24-2012 07:43 PM

Aren't the solar panels slippery?

ulferlingsson 01-24-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 820818)
Aren't the solar panels slippery?

As is, at present, it's just polished gelcoat. If they are too slippery I will add anti-skid pattern using a rubber product that is available on the market. One basically adds gelcoat in an anti-skid pattern over the deck.

sawingknots 01-24-2012 08:09 PM

i'm doubtful,i'm going to build a custom bimini and also put panels there,an aircon would be nice but i'll settle for a decent fan

ulferlingsson 01-24-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 820834)
i'm doubtful,i'm going to build a custom bimini and also put panels there,an aircon would be nice but i'll settle for a decent fan

It's a HUGE amount of work involved in putting solar cells in the deck, so a ready-built panel mounted on some structure is a lot quicker to install, for sure.

rugosa 01-24-2012 08:41 PM

Are any new boat builders offering solar deck?

DRFerron 01-24-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugosa (Post 820855)
Are any new boat builders offering solar deck?

Yes.

ulferlingsson 01-24-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 820861)

Actually it looks like they have put solar PANELS on the deck, rather than building panels out of solar CELLS directly on the deck... Using panels makes it easier, but adds weight.

sawingknots 01-24-2012 08:57 PM

exactly,also your jib would create a lot of shade,a few days ago someone said that he replaced his lifelines with stainless tubing and mounted solar panels on that,hinged so they could be moved out of harms way in close quarters, that seems like a good alterative,i have a panel bracket mounted on my stern rail but still not enough

minnow1193 01-24-2012 09:18 PM

What is your boat? Coastal recreation- is it a Balboa?