Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-26-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Holes in headliner

I am going to be mounting some new deck hardware, including a winch. I have a fiberglass headliner. I will have to cut some huge holes in the liner. Looking for suggestions on how exactly to attach a wood patch to cover the hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Can you just drill the holes in a pattern to match the bolt pattern of the winch, and then see if these guys offer the right size to plug the hole afterwards? or match your holes to what is available...

Snap-In Plugs: Finishing Plugs for Sheet Metal Holes - Caps n Plugs

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-26-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Those look pretty slick. However, I have a wood plug covering an original deck fitting and was thinking I would stick with the same theme. The question is, should I use the wood plug itself for the backing plate (probably not a good idea), or use a SS or aluminum plate with a wood cover somehow attached on top?
Old 01-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I am going to be mounting some new deck hardware, including a winch. I have a fiberglass headliner. I will have to cut some huge holes in the liner. Looking for suggestions on how exactly to attach a wood patch to cover the hole.
The normal method is just to cut holes for the bolts, then use a backing plate. I guess the backing plate could be wood but it's normally stainless. Can't see a problem though with a wooden plate and some decent sized stainless washers under the bolt heads? Mushroom nuts look nicest.

To avoid leaks into the core, Don Casey's book recommends drilling the holes, then soaking with thin penetrating epoxy to seal the core, then filling the holes with thicker epoxy, then drilling through the epoxy. Gosh.
Old 01-27-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
I would drill the holes through deck and liner for the bolts, following Casey's advice if you can, particularly since winches get stressed which stresses caulk. Then drill larger holes, big enough for nuts and backing washers which get installed up against inside of deck. You can then buy a round piece of teak with a screw hole in center which is used to screw this cover in to the liner. This allows access to the underside of the bolts if needed in the future. You should be able to find these round covers in a large enough size. If not, go to a marina and dumpster dive for a scrap piece of 1/4" teak plywood that you can cut a circle out of.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road
I am with Gladrags1, if the headliner is as thin as mine, I offer the below method as well.

1. Drill holes to match new hardware.
2. Stainless Backing plate, or material of choice, then put on nuts.
3. Size wooden cover to cover backing plate, drill to match bolt pattern and counter bore underside to go over nuts holding hardware on.
4. Use acorn nuts to hold the wooden cover on to complete the look.
-This of course would mean make sure you get long enough bolts.
Old 01-27-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I would drill the holes through deck and liner for the bolts, following Casey's advice if you can, particularly since winches get stressed which stresses caulk. Then drill larger holes, big enough for nuts and backing washers which get installed up against inside of deck. You can then buy a round piece of teak with a screw hole in center which is used to screw this cover in to the liner. This allows access to the underside of the bolts if needed in the future. You should be able to find these round covers in a large enough size. If not, go to a marina and dumpster dive for a scrap piece of 1/4" teak plywood that you can cut a circle out of.
I've found that red oak, stained with golden mahogany stain by Rustoleum, and varnished with spar varnish, is very close in appearance to teak. You can buy it at Home Depot and it's not expensive. It's also a good strong wood.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.