SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Vinyl Fabric Replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/83425-vinyl-fabric-replacement.html)

mm2187 02-03-2012 08:39 AM

Vinyl Fabric Replacement

Just looking to get some input on how others have replaced the vinyl on the ceiling of their boats. The visible side was mold free but in my curiousness I pulled down a corner and looked at the back side and there sure was a lot of mold.

The existing stuff was stapled around the edges no glue at all, is it possible to glue vinyl to fiberglass or is it better to staple. If so what sort of glue have you used? Any input would be extremely helpful before I begin this weekend.

Oaksail 02-03-2012 10:03 AM

Contact cement is your best bet. I did the same thing to my CS30, not because of mold but because of rips. 2 years later and still holding strong.

olson34 02-03-2012 10:23 AM

Up vs Sideways

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm2187 (Post 825976)
Just looking to get some input on how others have replaced the vinyl on the ceiling of their boats. The visible side was mold free but in my curiousness I pulled down a corner and looked at the back side and there sure was a lot of mold.

The existing stuff was stapled around the edges no glue at all, is it possible to glue vinyl to fiberglass or is it better to staple. If so what sort of glue have you used? Any input would be extremely helpful before I begin this weekend.

If you are "pulling it down" this seems to imply that you are talking about the "overhead". It can confuse folks because some boats had the the cloth-backed vinyl on both ceilings and the overhead...
'Most any good upholstery stop can source the material, and there are 'net sources also.

Taken care of, that tough stuff can last the life of the boat. If leaks are ignored or the interior is allowed to remain damp, there will be mold problems.

Beersmith 02-03-2012 02:39 PM

I ripped all of mine out. Was falling apart, moldy and was stapled on like yours.

I am replacing it all with panels so they can be removable to access wiring and deck fittings.

CarpeAquam 02-19-2012 11:38 AM

I'm planning something similar. I'm not sure the best way, but found this interesting: The Frugal Mariner: Insulating your boat

LarryandSusanMacDonald 02-21-2012 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link. So far there have been 17 hits from this link. My chest (or maybe my head) kind of swells up when something I've written about gets noticed.

oysterman23 02-21-2012 09:11 PM

vinyl etc

Hi funny this came up today, I was just doing test laminations with a variety of commercial spray glues (my usual commercial contact for laminates, Wilsonart for Foam and delicates, Titebond Super Strength.

All adhered well in average lay up time (shop was abit cold today) but I brought them home to cure tonight before doing a peel test.

The layup I did was fabric backed premium vinyl to high density foam (3/4") On brief observation it seemed to me the original toxic as hell good old fashioned stick mica to anything glue was better adhered to the foam but we will see for sure after the peel test tomorrow....hope this helps.....incidentally all layups were spray both materials dry to tack then rolled contact with typical rubber laminate roller.
ChrisCod;)