Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beersmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Vinyl Fabric Replacement

Just looking to get some input on how others have replaced the vinyl on the ceiling of their boats. The visible side was mold free but in my curiousness I pulled down a corner and looked at the back side and there sure was a lot of mold.

The existing stuff was stapled around the edges no glue at all, is it possible to glue vinyl to fiberglass or is it better to staple. If so what sort of glue have you used? Any input would be extremely helpful before I begin this weekend.
Old 02-03-2012

Oaksail is on a distinguished road
Contact cement is your best bet. I did the same thing to my CS30, not because of mold but because of rips. 2 years later and still holding strong.
Old 02-03-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Up vs Sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm2187 View Post
Just looking to get some input on how others have replaced the vinyl on the ceiling of their boats. The visible side was mold free but in my curiousness I pulled down a corner and looked at the back side and there sure was a lot of mold.

The existing stuff was stapled around the edges no glue at all, is it possible to glue vinyl to fiberglass or is it better to staple. If so what sort of glue have you used? Any input would be extremely helpful before I begin this weekend.
If you are "pulling it down" this seems to imply that you are talking about the "overhead". It can confuse folks because some boats had the the cloth-backed vinyl on both ceilings and the overhead...
'Most any good upholstery stop can source the material, and there are 'net sources also.

Taken care of, that tough stuff can last the life of the boat. If leaks are ignored or the interior is allowed to remain damp, there will be mold problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2012
Sailing to surf

Beersmith is on a distinguished road
I ripped all of mine out. Was falling apart, moldy and was stapled on like yours.

I am replacing it all with panels so they can be removable to access wiring and deck fittings.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 02-19-2012

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
I'm planning something similar. I'm not sure the best way, but found this interesting: The Frugal Mariner: Insulating your boat

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Old 02-21-2012
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the link. So far there have been 17 hits from this link. My chest (or maybe my head) kind of swells up when something I've written about gets noticed.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-21-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
vinyl etc

Hi funny this came up today, I was just doing test laminations with a variety of commercial spray glues (my usual commercial contact for laminates, Wilsonart for Foam and delicates, Titebond Super Strength.

All adhered well in average lay up time (shop was abit cold today) but I brought them home to cure tonight before doing a peel test.

The layup I did was fabric backed premium vinyl to high density foam (3/4") On brief observation it seemed to me the original toxic as hell good old fashioned stick mica to anything glue was better adhered to the foam but we will see for sure after the peel test tomorrow....hope this helps.....incidentally all layups were spray both materials dry to tack then rolled contact with typical rubber laminate roller.
ChrisCod