Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-23-2003

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Re-bedding deck hardware

I am about to do the dirty to my Santana 35, and have been wondering about the details. Instructions say to lightly screw the hardware down on top of the polysulfide until a little squeezes out, and then let it set for about 24 hours before tightening down all the way. I am not near the boat, and will not be able to get back to it 24 hours later. Would I be better off tightening down three or four hours later when I leave, or waiting until I come back a week later to tighten down all the way?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re-bedding deck hardware

I''d wait the week. Be sure to fill the threads of the bots with sealant before you insert them, and have someone screw the nut on while you hold the bolt head - so the sealant isn''t driven out of the threads by turning.

If you have hardware monunted on cored deck surface (a common no-no) this would be a good time to look at eliminating the risk of wet core by digging back the core and creating an epoxy plug for the bolt to pass thru. If you do a Google you can find instructions on doing this - here''s one:
http://www.nsc.ca/techtalk/rebedding_deck_fittings.htm
I like the recommendation about using butyl tape, as our builder did, but I could not find it in local marine stores..

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2003

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Re-bedding deck hardware

Yes, but....wouldn''t the butyl tape prevent the hardware from touching the deck, thereby causing the hardware to deck connection to be uneven? Or do you completely fill the area under the fitting with the tape, and then cut off the remaining when the fitting is in place?
Old 10-24-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
Re-bedding deck hardware

Best way -
overbore each hole by using an bit 1/8th inch larger than the hole. Fill with thickened epoxy (use clay underneath to stop drips). Redrill correct size. Don''t tighten all the way till sealant cures - a week is ok.

This method takes longer and is a pain, but you will NEVER get a leak into your core. When it''s time to rebed, just clean it up and reseal.
Old 10-24-2003

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Re-bedding deck hardware

re BUTYL ...

I replaced my windows two years ago. The originals were bedded with Butyl rubber.

That stuff gets EVERYWHERE! It was a bitch getting rid of it all. Made getting the deck prepped for refinishing very difficult.

On the positive side it sure was not hardened.

Mike
Old 10-28-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Re-bedding deck hardware

Butyl is an automotive product--check a NADA store. Last time I checked, it was black only.

Old 11-02-2003

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re-bedding deck hardware

drynoc,
In the cooler months polysulfide (ps)and 5200 long cure will not cure in a week, so you could come back a week later and finish.You can also use 5200 quick cure,tighten down ''till it squeezes out and tighten the rest of the way just before you leave.
The main thing here is that after snugging down initially and squeezing,is that both surfaces being bedded be completely covered so no water creeps by. Really, after accomplishing this the 5200 or ps can completely cure before tightening down the rest of the way. This may sound kinda scary to some but after you''ve made the soft gasket by snugging and squeezing, and bonding has taken place,it''s pretty much a dun-deal.

Dennis