Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Rigid Boom Vang

I think the raising force of the spring is very small compared to the upward loads on the mainsheet and boomvang when in a beam reach. Then you could argue that the vang is reducing the bending moment on the boom, at least with end boom sheeting, as the boom is now being pulled down at the end and at the middle.

When I apply some vang on a beam reach you can see the load on the main sheet fall.
Old 04-25-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I think the raising force of the spring is very small compared to the upward loads on the mainsheet and boomvang when in a beam reach. Then you could argue that the vang is reducing the bending moment on the boom, at least with end boom sheeting, as the boom is now being pulled down at the end and at the middle.

When I apply some vang on a beam reach you can see the load on the main sheet fall.
Maybe the only thing to be concerned about it the forces on the goose neck. Seems with a rigid boom vang (one the eliminates your topping lift) there is now a large outward force on the goose neck. A force the goose neck would normally not see. This force would not exceed the spring, gas, or hydraulic force of the rigid boom vang. As long as the goose neck is in good condition, maybe the forces should not be a problem. But then again this goose neck is not really designed for outward forces (think mine is held by rivets), so I guess it is somthing to consider and keep an eye on.

Just seems with a rigid boom vang there are forces there, but they are not apparent, like they would be if you used a topping lift and standard block and tackle vang (you know what the forces are when you pull the lines).
Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I guess the lesson here is if you switch to a rigid vang, don't let those 3 drunken deck apes get into chin-up competitions on the end of the boom in the cockpit.. - at least not all at once...
primerate84 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-25-2012

Yes I try to remember that the vang line has an 8:1 purchase so I try not to pull on it too hard Strictly no putting it around a winch!
Old 04-25-2012

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

Something you should be aware of, which I learned when I had a rigid vang, is that the vang does indeed hold the boom up when attempting to reef. What it doesn't do is stop it from swinging side to side, which it will do when you release halyard tension in order to reef. It also doesn't steady the boom as well as a topping lift when docked or moored. There are pluses and minuses. I decided not to have one on my present boat.

Last edited by jgeissinger; 04-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
Something you should be aware of, which I learned when I had a rigid vang, is that the vang does indeed hold the boom up when attempting to reef. What it doesn't do is stop it from swinging side to side, which it will do when you release halyard tension in order to reef. It also doesn't steady the boom as well as a topping lift when docked or moored. There pluses and minuses. I decided not to have one on my present boat.
Yes, I saw a similar comment in another post. Another poster said he nearly fell overboard when grabbing the boom to steady himself while reefing in rough weather. I have also seen recomendations my manufacurers to use the topping lift while at dock to take the force off the rigid vang's compression spring.

Say you are reefing (and have a rigid vang) and push down on the boom, will the boom drop any?
Old 04-25-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=jgeissinger;863292There pluses and minuses. I decided not to have one on my present boat.[/QUOTE]

A big plus for a topping is going aloft. I must prefer to use a substantial one with the main halyard as a safety. That little bit of extra height is worth it.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-25-2012

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

Ditto. 16 or so years ago I put a rigid vang on because it was the latest, coolest thing. Now I find that a topping lift is simply more useful in more circumstances.
Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Yes, I saw a similar comment in another post. Another poster said he nearly fell overboard when grabbing the boom to steady himself while reefing in rough weather. I have also seen recomendations my manufacurers to use the topping lift while at dock to take the force off the rigid vang's compression spring.

Say you are reefing (and have a rigid vang) and push down on the boom, will the boom drop any?
Yes it will drop. But surely you are never supposed to be using the boom to steady yourself?
Old 04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
Ditto. 16 or so years ago I put a rigid vang on because it was the latest, coolest thing. Now I find that a topping lift is simply more useful in more circumstances.
What if you keep the topping lift, but add a rigid vang to help while reefing? Would you still recommend just the topping lift and not adding a rigid vang?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.