Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRelyea View Post
No they can't handle that amount of TP .... but there are plenty of countries where you shouldn't flush TP down regular toilets ... adapt!

Traveler Tip: Whether or Not To Flush Toilet Paper in 10 Different Destinations
Ok, read the article and the comments to the article and a lot of the comments say the article is in error. I have been to countries where you do throw tp in the garbage so I can see the article may be somewhat valid. So now with a composting toilet you need to carry the bag of soiled tp and find a trash can to dump it. Now that will attract flies and maybe carry disease, and you need to find a place to store this on your boat. Funny when I asked a compost toilet maker- they did not give me that answer, but it does seem correct.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Casey, you can put toilet paper in your composter, but it won't compost as quickly as the solids and it will fill up the composting bin rather quickly. On my boat we have a small garbage can beside the composting toilet with a foot operated lid. We use airtight thin plastic bags (the kind you buy in rolls) to line it and when we change the garbage you just have to squeeze the air out and tie a knot in the top. No fuss. It then goes into our regular trash. It's hard to convince someone of the benefits of a composting toilet who hasn't actually tried one. One of the misconceptions is there is a smell. There is NO SMELL at all. The fan (which draws a few milliamps) is not there to draw the smell out but to circulate air and help to dry the contents of the composting bin. You can turn off the fan and there is still no smell in the boat. I used my composting toilet for the first 2 months without a fan and there was no smell at all. Now I use the built-in fan that came with my Nature's Head and a passive NICRO solar vent. These just help to dry things out. The coast here is very humid in summer.
Old 02-07-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
A tad off topic but still related to composting toilets. Has anyone dumped say "Rid-X" into the composting head to make the decomposition happen quicker? I have no connection to rid-x. I'm faced (bad choice of words for this topic) with a decision to install a holding tank/toilet or composting head. I'm leaning towards the composting head but not looking forward to carrying bags of cr#& to the trash can.
Old 02-07-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Casey, you can put toilet paper in your composter, but it won't compost as quickly as the solids and it will fill up the composting bin rather quickly. On my boat we have a small garbage can beside the composting toilet with a foot operated lid. We use airtight thin plastic bags (the kind you buy in rolls) to line it and when we change the garbage you just have to squeeze the air out and tie a knot in the top. No fuss. It then goes into our regular trash. It's hard to convince someone of the benefits of a composting toilet who hasn't actually tried one. One of the misconceptions is there is a smell. There is NO SMELL at all. The fan (which draws a few milliamps) is not there to draw the smell out but to circulate air and help to dry the contents of the composting bin. You can turn off the fan and there is still no smell in the boat. I used my composting toilet for the first 2 months without a fan and there was no smell at all. Now I use the built-in fan that came with my Nature's Head and a passive NICRO solar vent. These just help to dry things out. The coast here is very humid in summer.
That's the issue right there. If someone hasn't tried it. They have no idea how simple and easy it is. And there aren't enough words or enough time in the world to convince them.
Old 02-07-2012

Captainmeme, when you dump your composting bin it will be like dumping potting soil. It's not a big deal. It's not disgusting. You just put a garbage bag over the top and turn it upside down. You can also dump it at sea or carry the bin into the woods and dump it under a tree (off the path). You don't have to clean the bin after you dump it, just fill it with new composting medium (coconut fibre or peat). Before you decide on a composting toilet or head/holding tank you should visit a boat with a composting toilet to see how it works. There are a few tradeoffs with a composting toilet, but the benefits far outweigh them.

I don't think adding something like Rid-X to speed up the composting would hurt, but it's really not necessary in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2012

+1 Knothead!
Old 02-07-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Ok! I have a pump-out system Closed when it fills the tank its pumped from a deck fitting. Have little or no problems ,as long as people follow rules. I considered a porta-potty but couldn't see carrying around a suit-case fullof xxx, looking for a toilet to flush it down. Not to mention the looks & statements you would have to hear! So now you have a composting toilet that doesn't stink in the boat-just outside,burns electric,you get to empty a bucket of **** once a year,And your still carrying a container to a toilet,like the porta-potty guy! Now tell me what is gained here!-----Dale
I fail to see the aesthetic advantage of carrying a huge, complex tank of sloshing liquid sewage around, over a much smaller amount of relatively drier compost, which looks more like peat moss.
No composter ever sunk a boat. None ever will. Not the case with standard marine heads.
I put my TP directly in the wood stove, but if I threw it overboard, it would sink within 3 ft of the boat, then quickly break up. A five pound salmon, or seagull, taking a dump, has a far greater environmental impact.
Old 02-07-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Liquids & solids, 1 pump out every two weeks vs. carrying a bucket of pea to a toilet every other day and emptying a bucket of dried **** occasionaly.Fan with power draw ,always running . I don't think so!..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-07-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Liquids & solids, 1 pump out every two weeks vs. carrying a bucket of pea to a toilet every other day and emptying a bucket of dried **** occasionaly.Fan with power draw ,always running . I don't think so!..Dale
Thanks for making my point Dale. You don't know but you don't think so.
You have no experience with it. You won't listen to people who do. But because you don't think so it must be a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
That's the issue right there. If someone hasn't tried it. They have no idea how simple and easy it is. And there aren't enough words or enough time in the world to convince them.
copacabana likes this.
Old 02-07-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
So don't try!..Dale
Where God got it done!