Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Liquids & solids, 1 pump out every two weeks vs. carrying a bucket of pea to a toilet every other day and emptying a bucket of dried **** occasionaly.Fan with power draw ,always running . I don't think so!..Dale
Do the great lakes allow direct sewage discharge? If so, how far from shore do you need to be?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
No closed system pumped out to city sewer at marina..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-07-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Thanks for making my point Dale. You don't know but you don't think so.
You have no experience with it. You won't listen to people who do. But because you don't think so it must be a lie.
Me, I am just trying to get some facts. I do not have an installed head, use a bucket, but when close to shore the waste goes into a bag with some lime (powder) to cut down on the smell- then take to trash. I would like a better way and do not want to install a holding tank and do not want through hulls for the head. As I said, I spoken to manufacurers and got a different answer than what people who actually use it. That all I want- just the facts.

Sooner or later all areas (unless far offshore) will be zero discharge so we need to get a good plan ready.
Regards
Old 02-07-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Liquids & solids, 1 pump out every two weeks vs. carrying a bucket of pea to a toilet every other day and emptying a bucket of dried **** occasionaly.Fan with power draw ,always running . I don't think so!..Dale
Container of pee, a sterile acid with zero colliform, and thus zero environmental impact, goes overboard every couple of nights, thru a cockpit drain if necessary.
Power draw is 60 milliamps, far less than even a tiny solar panel will put back in minutes per day.
Large, unsanitary , expensive, complex arrangements of plumbing and wasted space, and a sloshing liquid filled sewage tank, all prone to breakdown and plugging, which you have to pay to empty? I don't think so!
I had a good laugh when the editor of a local magazine , who had campaigned hard for holding tank regulations in BC, had his rupture and fill his bilge with sewage. Be careful what you wish for. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2012

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road
Hi Brent, I commercial fished in the 70's and I don't think the Regulation on the Coast will fly
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 02-07-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
I see little difference , I use one sealed container and have it pumped in city sewer? They use two containers and empty it themselves , I question where they dump it, over the side, in a sewer, in a trash can, on the ground,or what? Some people have different ideas!---Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-07-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Me, I am just trying to get some facts. I do not have an installed head, use a bucket, but when close to shore the waste goes into a bag with some lime (powder) to cut down on the smell- then take to trash. I would like a better way and do not want to install a holding tank and do not want through hulls for the head. As I said, I spoken to manufacurers and got a different answer than what people who actually use it. That all I want- just the facts.

Sooner or later all areas (unless far offshore) will be zero discharge so we need to get a good plan ready.
Regards
Here is a thread that you may be interested in.

composting toilet report
Old 02-08-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
I'm going to install a composting head in my Nor'sea 27 that I'm finishing up. I have a real reluctance to drill anymore holes in my boat than absolutely necessary. Also the area the holding tank would go would be a nice place for a RO unit. I just can't see paying almost $500 for what amounts to a bucket, a seat and built in churning stick. Does the seat form an airtight seal around the bucket? When not in use is the bucket sealed with the only air moving through the container is from the vent fan? In a "conventional" toilet the water filled S trap forms the seal, what forms the seal on a composting head? I'm wondering if I could just purchase the "DIY composting toilet urine diverter" from C-head and build my own head. Has anyone tried this?
Old 02-08-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I'm going to install a composting head in my Nor'sea 27 that I'm finishing up. I have a real reluctance to drill anymore holes in my boat than absolutely necessary. Also the area the holding tank would go would be a nice place for a RO unit. I just can't see paying almost $500 for what amounts to a bucket, a seat and built in churning stick. Does the seat form an airtight seal around the bucket? When not in use is the bucket sealed with the only air moving through the container is from the vent fan? In a "conventional" toilet the water filled S trap forms the seal, what forms the seal on a composting head? I'm wondering if I could just purchase the "DIY composting toilet urine diverter" from C-head and build my own head. Has anyone tried this?
C-head website is pretty informative and building a base seems simple enough. The problem for me is that that I live in a small house with no workshop or garage. Sometimes it's easier just to buy something than go scouting for material and tools so I can spend more time online typing.
Old 02-08-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
This is a tough one to broach without getting too graphic, but how exactly do these composting heads separate liquids from solids?

From reading about the units allowing liquids to enter the compost chamber will prevent proper composting and result in undesireable odors.

That seems problematic since they are sometimes delivered simultaniously and any form of separating them would seem to have cleanup implications.