Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-08-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Captainmeme, there is no 100% airtight seal on the Nature's Head composting bin, just a close fitting plastic trap door. That's all you need as there is no odor issue. The only real advantage of buying one like a Nature's Head or Air Head is that they are well finished and don't look cheap. You can make your own for very little money and if you're not too worried about how it looks... then terrific. I believe the C-Head unit has a smaller holding capacity and doesn't use a fan, but I'm sure it works fine. Brent Swain's book has plans for making your own composting head (as well as tons of other clever plans- well worth buying). In my case the higher price of the Nature's Head was worth it as I didn't have the time to build my own and I didn't want to detract from the exceptionally high quality finishing of my boat's interior. Whatever way you go, I don't think you'll regret it.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 02-08-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Seriously guys. If you are interested in composting heads you should check out this thread.

composting toilet report

There is a lot of information that you would probably find useful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
This is a tough one to broach without getting too graphic, but how exactly do these composting heads separate liquids from solids?

From reading about the units allowing liquids to enter the compost chamber will prevent proper composting and result in undesireable odors.

That seems problematic since they are sometimes delivered simultaniously and any form of separating them would seem to have cleanup implications.
The exit points on the body for solids and liquids are several inches apart. The hole for the solids is under the exit hole on the body for solids, with a raised lip around it to keep the liquids out. Thus the liquids drain to a smaller hole further forward.
I leave a stainless pot lid over the bigger hole, and lift it out and set it aside when producing solids. Much simpler than the sliding contraption on the airhead.Keeps the liquids out during the night. Its that simple.
Huge breakthru in composter heads. Makes older mixed systems obsolete.

Last edited by Faster; 02-09-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: commentary not as funny as he thought...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook