SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Instruments (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/83518-instruments.html)

Afrakes 02-05-2012 03:03 PM

Instruments

Here's my situation. I'm in my mid sixties. Will weekend sail and week long cruise for maybe ten more years. Northeast, inland lake sailor which means maybe active 4 to 5 months a year. Modest means, I do all of the work myself. I am refitting an 81 Ericson 28+ thinking of going with a Garmin 546s which will give me position, water depth and boat speed in addition to a number of other options I will never use. In addition to position, water depth and boat speed I would like to have wind speed and direction as well. What do you folks recommend. How do I get what I want at a reasonable cost?

Al Frakes
Port Kent, NY
73' E-27
81' E-28

Gary M 02-05-2012 03:55 PM

I bought Raymarine wind speed and direction three years ago and have been very happy with it. They are about the least expensive on the market and I got it on sale.
Good luck

Gary

dbruce85 02-05-2012 04:08 PM

One consideration may be what you have for instruments now and if you want to match that style. I have depth and speed in the older style 4" round display. When I purchase wind I am going to get one of the Moor instruments ( link attached).
I don't plan on changing the SR Mariners that I have, just had them both serviced and they are working fine.

Sailboat Instruments - Moor Marine Sailing Electronics

Siamese 02-05-2012 04:38 PM

I also have the Raymarine unit. It's what came on my Catalina 309 in 2007. I like it fine, but have not had experience with any other makes.

Still, if I had to give up one of my electronic gadgets, gps, depthsounder, autopilot, etc., the first one I'd give up would be the wind speed and direction. What's the next one I'd give up?......none of 'em.

I can't usually guess the depth, but I can tell you how hard the wind's blowing. It's either not enough, just right, let's reef, or Heeeeelp! It's not that hard to know where the wind's coming from, and a simple mechanical device can do the job. I've found that I become a bit of a slave to looking at the wind direction readout. You're sailing along, and looking at that needle and keeping it where it should be for your current sail trim. I can get pretty much the same thing by keeping an eye on the sail and watching out for any luffing.

So, if mine breaks, I'll probably fix it. Probably.

GMFL 02-05-2012 05:10 PM

When I purchased my boat it had the older Standard Horizon instruments. The wind instrument didn't work due to the anemometer being frozen. They no longer supplied replacements so I went with Raymarine instruments. Unfortunately the hole needed is smaller. (I think the moor instruments above are the recommended replacement for older SH) so I have a plate over the old holes, temp fix until I can re-glass.

Raymarine just came out with a new instrument package, (I bought the ST60) and they look nice. I still need an autopilot so I'll probably get the new version (p70 control head) Won't match exactly but the AP will be at the helm, the instruments are at the companionway. Anyway, the new units are worth a look.

thekeip 02-05-2012 05:28 PM

Remember, the boat speed is given as speed over the ground, not through the water.
546s is a very nice instrument.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley

chef2sail 02-05-2012 06:08 PM

Nice instrument the Garmin. Is the depth reading you are referring to the depth on the chartplotter map or is there a link to a seperate transducer. For depth you need a seperate transducer to take the reading so therefore a seprate display usually. Not sure if the new chartplotters show all the readings. If Garmin had been as good as it is now when I bought my C80 I would have proabbly bought it, but oit was not comparable 5 years ago IMHO.

Depth is important as you can read it and correspond to a map so for me it is the number one or first device. We have the Raymarine ST60 series depth, wind and speed log, autopilot seatalked into a Raymarine C-80chartplotter. Bet you could pick them up used.

Dave

MarkSF 02-05-2012 10:46 PM

Garmin also sell the Airmar DST800 sensor, which gives you paddle speed, depth and water temp. I'm using one with my Lowrance plotter. You can also get a DT800 without the speed. Either way you can use the 546 as the display device for all sorts of NMEA 2000 transducers.

Midnightflyer 02-06-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siamese (Post 826962)
I also have the Raymarine unit. It's what came on my Catalina 309 in 2007. I like it fine, but have not had experience with any other makes.

Still, if I had to give up one of my electronic gadgets, gps, depthsounder, autopilot, etc., the first one I'd give up would be the wind speed and direction. What's the next one I'd give up?......none of 'em.

I can't usually guess the depth, but I can tell you how hard the wind's blowing. It's either not enough, just right, let's reef, or Heeeeelp! It's not that hard to know where the wind's coming from, and a simple mechanical device can do the job. I've found that I become a bit of a slave to looking at the wind direction readout. You're sailing along, and looking at that needle and keeping it where it should be for your current sail trim. I can get pretty much the same thing by keeping an eye on the sail and watching out for any luffing.

So, if mine breaks, I'll probably fix it. Probably.

I believe that Siamese is right, A windx on the mast head and some yarn on the shroulds gives most of the info you need. My 2 cents worth from cheap old me.

Barquito 02-06-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

I believe that Siamese is right, A windx on the mast head and some yarn on the shroulds gives most of the info you need. My 2 cents worth from cheap old me.
Agree. Would add, licked finger held high. Gadgets are part of the reason some of us sail... and, also, the reason that some of us can't afford to sail.