Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-05-2012
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Frigoboat v. Adler Barbour

We are trying to leave shortly for the bahamas, and are replacing our existing system, which was a combo 110 / engine system from 1992. The engine driven system is kaput, and the 110 will work on the inverter, but draws 7 amps 110, which converts to about 110 amps 12v dc. (And I wonder where the battery went!)

I have had a frigoboat system bid for about 5k including installation and removal of old system, and an alder barber cold machine for about 3k. We have to do a quick haul anyway to do some welds on our swim platform so the haul is being done anyway.

Is anyone able to help me with why the frigoboat is worth 2k more than the AB system? And I am concerned about diminished capacity as the keel cooler gets marine growth.

This is on an Island Packet 44, which has good insultation, but big enough boxes to put the whole cow in. Freezer is probably 4 cubic feet, frige is 6 cf. top loading

Thanks, need to decide this weekend.

Mike Graham

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I put in my own Frigoboat system a few years ago. Parts cost was a bit over 1K with the 'keel cooler'.
There was also the haul-out cost to install that heat transfer thru hull ('keel cooler'), but that added nothing extra to my regular haul out cost for bottom painting.

Since our boat had never had refrigeration before, I did waste quite a few hours planning the routing for the tubing and fabricating the compressor mounting, running the new wiring, etc.

Costs are up quite a bit these days, but unless you insist on paying strangers to do the work I doubt you could spend more than, say, $2k, to put it in round numbers.

Nice thing about doing your own installation is that you have personal knowledge of all the parts and how they work together.

OTOH, if I were wealthy, I'd probably pay someone else to lay on their back and work under the galley counter!

It is both very quiet and efficient, using few amps when running.

Here's to cold beers again in your future!

LB

ps: quick edit.... must stress that my choice in fridge technology is not meant to denigrate the Adler Barbour. I met one sailor that had 15+ years continuous use on his A-B system before it gave up. I just realized that the thread title sort of implies a competition with a potential winner and loser...

pps: Any of these systems are considerably less spendy if you opt for air-cooling, also.

Last edited by olson34; 02-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I have had both and the Frigiboat seems like a much better unit to me. Runs 24/7/365. Cold beer, cold ice cream thanks to 260w of solar power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-06-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I have an Adler Barbour super cold machine and am well pleased with it, makes ice and keeps a large fridge very cold even on a hot Caribbean day..

Air cooled too!
Old 02-06-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
just subscribing to this thread

Old 02-20-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Frigoboat v. Adler Barbour

bump
Old 02-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'd not rule out Norcold, they use a swing compressor, very different from traditional compressors. FrigUrBoat is out a waaaaay there with the pricing.. imho

Just put any condenser where it's going to get good circulation not in the engine room like I did LOL and I know better. keel coolers, if you can find one, can work on any unit

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 02-20-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Check out the DC Isotherm refrigeration systems that use an in-water heat exchanger. I've had one for about 10 years and it has performed admirably.

I've also chartered Island Packets at least a half dozen time and haven't been impressed with whatever the factory uses for refrigeration. These were boats that were less than 5 years old. (Not picking on IP, as the worst problem I had with refrigeration on a charter boat was on a Waquiez out of St. Martin that flat out failed on day one.)

Tags
alder barbout , frigoboat , refrigeration