Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-06-2012
S/V Dreamer - Marieholm26

regatta is on a distinguished road
Deck - Hull Sealant....

Hello to everybody!
I'm little confused about what use to seal my boat in the join of deck and hull.
At the moment there is a something white with many cracks and I would like to replace it with some sealants.
I read on this forum many opinion but the only result is for me more confusion, 5200-4200-491UV boh!
I really would like to know wich is the best way to seal this part of my boat and have a bonding with uv protection.
I followed all the fantastic advise of MaineSail about butyl and i bonding all my boat stuff.
Butyl is not useful in this case.
thanks a lot to everyone clear my doubts.
Cheers
Gabriele
Marieholm 26 "Dreamer" | Marieholm26 FanPage
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2012

Snowypass is on a distinguished road
Re: Deck - Hull Sealant....

A great filler/sealer for repair areas and any bonding of fiberglass items can be done with a product called "Vette Panel Adhesive" by Evercoat. It is similar to bondo but is far stronger and sands without cupping like other filler/sealers.
I made fiberglass spacers to elevate my stanchion bases above the deck in an attempt to create a less of a water intrusion point. I bonded the spacers with the adhesive and then shaped the seam as well. It works great on any scrapes or gouges that may need filled and smoothed out.
Old 03-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Um, is this product like bondo? Do you have a financial interest by any chance?
Old 03-19-2012

No I do not have any financial interest. I use to build street rods and found this to be an awesome product as an adhesive and filler. It does come in a can like Bondo and does have a cream hardener. However, it is made by Evercoat and is about 3 to 4 times more expensive. Bondo is not an adhesive but strictly a filler. Bodo is soft and tends to crack out. I have not had any issues with bonding f/g to f/g or to metal. Because it sands like f/g it does not cup. I have ground out any areas which have Bondo and replaced with Vette Panel Adhesive.
Now, I do sell dust control and soil stabilization products if you ever have the need. But then again dust and soil is not an issue when on the water.
I only mention the Evercoat item because I wish I had learned about it earlier on.
Old 03-19-2012

oh, by the way Barquito, the boat in your picture looks really nice. I have a Catalina C22 built in 1970 that I am restoring. Going from 600 hp street rods to 6 hp sailboats is a real step for me but wind is cheaper than gas.
Take care.
Old 03-20-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Thanks Snow. I hope she will look a lot better after painting this spring. My last boat was a C22. There are a few pictures in the 'Low Buck Projects' thread somewhere.

Regarding the hull-to-deck joint: My Bristol 27 has Butyl original from the factory (circa 1975). My Don Casey book suggests taking all fasteners out, and prying the deck up just enough to squirt some sealer in. If you are not going to be lifting the deck up then you don't need an adhesive, so 5200 would be overkill. I plan on just scraping everything I can out of the joint and re-sealing. Not sure exactly what to use either...