Stainless steel backing plates, thoughts, where to buy? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Jon, even without leaking alu & s/s are notorious for not getting along. No leaks needed, just condensation or atmospheric humidity, and they often self destruct. "Proper" construction in marine or aviation shops will always, always, always, use separators and goo in between the two because they simply can't be trusted.

Check your boat tomorrow morning, you'll find the plates have all fallen off overnight just to spite you. Or, they're waiting for an even loess convenient moment. :-)
SloopJonB likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
I went out to my local metal salvage pace and got a nice chunk or SS. I've used it for backing plated for all my stanchions and a number of cleats. Didn't cost all that much. With a hack saw, metal file and drill you can cut it, make the edges and corners fair and have a brushed finish that doesn't look all that bad. Doesn't take much money only time.
Cal-29
Old 02-11-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Zip cut disks on an angle grinder makes ss easy to work. I've even showed up at the scrap yard to cut out the piece I want. At a buck a pound you don't want too much waste. Much industrial scrap is already pretty polished .
Old 02-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
The posts about getting the stuff sheared and punched reminded me of a summer I worked in a machine shop in high school. I had forgotten about the 100 ton multi-cutting machine they had - sheared flat sheet, angle iron, round bar and punched holes like it was hard butter.

If you have ever worked S/S with hand tools, you will recognize that it would be worth spending the money to have it done. I certainly will in future - there is no question that S/S backers are better, stronger and better looking compared to aluminium. I think I'll just take care of finishing the edges and polishing them in future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.