Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Just Scored an Insanely Good Deal!

I always hear about folks getting deals like these that come along once in a blue moon. Today was finally my day!!

My mother-in-law works with an industrial rigging wholesaler. I guess they have a good working relationship, and when he heard I had a boat he offered to help me out if I ever needed anything. I finally took him up on his offer and asked for 3x 120' lengths of 3/8 inch dyneema or Sta-Set X line for some new halyards.

Looking at West Marine, they list it at about $1.21 a foot, so I'm thinking I may come in at $300.

Well, he just got back to me, and he was able to get ahold of 600' spools (my choice of color) for $150 each!! To make it even better, they are going to put the eye splices in the 3x 120' lengths for me as well. I jumped on 2 spools. Almost wishing I'd have gotten some more at that price, but I didn't want to take advantage.

That's 1,200' of 3/8 inch double braided line for $300!

I thought it would be cool to see who else has gotten some rediculously good deals on boat stuff.

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Got a TackTick Sailmaster for $200, seemed like a good deal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Great deal on the line!
I've managed to not lose too much when I've sold all my previous boats, that's almost unbelievable!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 02-10-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Great deal on the line!
I've managed to not lose too much when I've sold all my previous boats, that's almost unbelievable!

Getting out of a boat without losing your a$$ is probably the best deal of them all!

I've been hit or miss with the resale of my boats. I got the original purchase price for my last one (less operating costs) which I considered a win. I've listed my current boat, but I've spent so much on upgrades over the past few years that, despite the great deal on line that I just got, there's no way I could recover everything I've put into the boat. That translates to a good deal for someone, but I really want something geared more toward full time cruising/living aboard.

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 02-10-2012

Mattmm is on a distinguished road
i got my current boat for $1000. $12,000 later i got it to float now i figure if i put another $10k into it i should get $12k for it. someones in for a great deal. I'm currently looking for a sailboat around 36-40' for around 10k. I'll post my great deal when i find it
for me i dont trust a boat until i have to rebuild it.
Old 02-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Bought a boat with a cradle for $700. Sold the working stove for $50. Sold the cradle for $250. 1000 lb. lead keel @$.75/lb. the stripped hull is cut up and awaiting disposal for free.
The spinnaker pole,boom, mast and spinnaker, two mains, and four jibs are stashed throughout the house.
The rest is here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Nice, BJ. If those were self tailing winches, we might be having a discussion.
Old 02-10-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
A year ago. Craig's list, I bought a walker bay 8ft with complete sailing rig and floatation bag, the only option it did not have was the wrap around floatation tube.
$300!

my current "project"!
Old 02-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I was pleased to discover the brand new, never used, 15 year old merriman quick change genoa cars hiding under the sink. Everything else was damn near gravy.

It almost kind of, sort of, karmically makes up for the tens of thousands I've invested in boats worth thousands.

Old 02-11-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I missed this auction because I bid more than the reserve at the last minute. The other guy got a 60 pound "Mason" anchor for $100.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .