Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013

jnorten is on a distinguished road
Re: Foulies - anything other than Musto worthwhile?

I've found lots of good sailing equipment at my local farm supply store.

Here's an example of foulies:

Tingley Rubber Men's Icon Rain Jacket (Size: Small) at Blain's Farm & Fleet

The description says that it's a rubber coat. It is NOT--read the details...it's breathable material. I was in the store the other day and tried on this coat. It compares to some of the higher end stuff that has been discussed here.

For what it's worth--right now I use a Patagonia shell up top. When it's cold, I wear a heavy fleece underneath. For pants, it's cheap Wal-Mart Pants for about $10 that get replaced when they tear.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I know the OP is quite old, but noticed the MUSTO brand at West Marine last weekend and the offshore jacket they had said it was specifically made for WM on the label. $400. It was pretty nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-03-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I was on a delivery from Bermuda to CT and one of the guys had the best of the best of everything. He was a highly competitive NYC corporate raider so money was no option.
I had my discounted West Marine gear and I was pretty wet.

The problem we all had was that it was hot but we were still getting green water over the bow every now and then. Farr 395.

When it seemed like it was safe we would open the front of or top.

Of course you know where this is going.
A wave would wash over the boat and soak us completely, even rich guy.
Of course then we would be cold and wet and miserable.

If it was cold the good stuff may have made a difference.

A change of clothes was the the best solution.
Old 08-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Dry is first priority. Warm is second.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Had one piece years ago. PIA when called on deck for a few minutes ( sail change or reefing). When tired and need to go up and down two piece set up is better. Just take off jacket /boots if down below. Wear just bibs if needed for warmth.Deal with bibs only if going to head. Any of the offshore/ocean stuff with three layers are good. One layer stuff good for daysailing only. If spending bucks on two layer stuff might as well go for three. Used one piece suit made for oil rig guys with closed cell foam as middle layer (Imhoff) for cold weather sailing in storms. Liked it a lot. Can't find that model now. Much better than thermal suit as could still wear my fancy Irish boots and hands were free. Now using the Gill ocean stuff (3layers). A bit cheaper than Musto and like the collar/hood set up better. Have small Gill thermal cap with wire in the brim. Fits just right under hood and I can see even with glasses/goggles on when I turn my head. my 2 cents

Last edited by outbound; 08-03-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Would say go to store like Newport One or the like. Don't buy anything without bringing your boots and gloves when putting it on and going through the motions. Admiral got the fancy Gill stuff as well but hates the jacket as the band that goes across her lower face annoys her. Hits her nose just wrong.
Old 08-04-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Of course you know where this is going.
A wave would wash over the boat and soak us completely, even rich guy.
Of course then we would be cold and wet and miserable.
I wonder why he didn't stuff his foulies with $100s? The insulating power of a Franklin (even when wet) is not to be underestimated.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 08-04-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The key to the right clothing is LAYERS. No one piece of ridiculously expensive clothing is going be sufficient. The layers need to be high tech fleece materials but nothing says they need to be priced with the "marine" label. As far as a water barrier, IMO high tech fabrics are a waste of money and mostly a marketing ploy.
Old 08-04-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Yeah there is better stuff out there. For starters STOP looking at "boating" and "sailing" gear.

All but the most expensive foul weather gear will either breathable-ish but not waterproof (durable water repellent) or will be waterproof but NOT breathable (Grundings PVC). Gore-Tex breathable foulies can be had starting at $800

Check our REI and other outdoor retailers and look at hiking, skiing, and snow-mobiling clothing. It is MUCH cheaper and the competition is greater because those markets are bigger.

For example check out these absolutely top of the line 3layer Gore-Tex bibs. They sport, fully taped seams, full length watertight leg zips (to cool you down and for ease of getting in and out) that also have a built in butt and knee pads. Can be found for around $300. Mind you that's the top of the heap, with all the bells and whistles priced gear. The North Face and other companies make nice bibs and jackets for less. "Boating" gear is just too marked up.

http://=http://www.klim.com/en-us/sh...e-tex/3178-000

Stay warm. Stay dry.
MedSailor
I will add that everything I've bought from that MFR: Klim has been really, REALLY well made. I don't use it on the boat, on a dirt bike but I do live in it for weeks at a time. I really like the idea of using their other stuff for boating as well.
Old 08-04-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"IMO high tech fabrics are a waste of money and mostly a marketing ploy."
Spoken by someone who has either never spent time in heat and humidity, or someone who has an incredibly high tolerance for them and never notices.
Those of us who are bothered a bit more by a sauna, find that GoreTex really works. Works damn well, and keeps you much drier and more comfortable inside than any fancy plastic or rubber garment would. Generally it is not as rugged as classic foulies, but it really does work, within the limits of what it is intended to do.
jackdale likes this.

Tags
cold , foul weather gear , foulies , fowlies , wet