Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Foulies - anything other than Musto worthwhile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
When I was sea kayaking the Maine Island Trail back in the 90's I started with a "waterproof" but non-breathable Kokatat dry suit. The thing was a personal sauna, utterly unbearable and totally disgusting. Within 5-10 minutes I was wetter inside the suit than outside. That dry suit lasted all of three-four trips before I sold it at a huge loss. I then sprung for the Gore-Tex version of the same exact suit (about $700.00 clams at the time). The difference inside the suit was ASTOUNDING.... I was dry, comfortable (well as comfortable as can be expected in a dry suit) and paddled literally 500-700 miles in it during times when the waters were still dangerously cold, all in a "high humidity" environment. The fabric performed exceptionally well...

I also have a Todd Bibler single wall breathable mountaineering tent and bivy sack. The net experts expounded on how they can't or won't work in the East yet we have used that tent, even in the summers, and the interior has always been 100% bone dry and is does exactly what the fabric was intended to do, breathe... Even did an early March trip to Isle Au Haut and used the Bibler in a pouring rain, bordering on ice, storm. Three people in that tent and we were bone dry... I will never go back to a double walled non-breathable tent for winter mountaineering..

As a commercial lobsterman I wore Grundens because they were cheap and somewhat durable (I could chew through about four pair of bibs in a season). They were utterly disgusting to wear, wetter inside than out, but it kept the "fish stink" off you.....

You could not pay me to wear a PVC sauna suit for sailing. Kind of like dusting off the old buggy whip...

That said I do not wear "sailing gear" like Musto, Gill etc. (I do own it but it is pretty dusty). I find climbing apparel piles more comfortable and MUCH better designed for freedom of movement.
I used to be a member of MITA and actually helped them edit the guide one year. Used to do a lot of sea kayaking around the Deer Isle area when I lived in NH but never did the entire MIT.
I agree that mountain gear is good for sailing. I mean, if you had to buy a set of Goretex stuff for every sport, it would cost a fortune. I have an old Bean Maine Warden's jacket that comes in very handy on the boat when it's cold. It's really rugged, has Thinsulate type insulation and tends to stay dry for quite a long time. The only way to stay really dry is with a drysuit but, as I said they're uncomfortable as hell. My sailing clothes selection is a combination of hiking, whitewater/kayak, and sailing gear.
Old 08-06-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Agree with all of the above. To the extent you can stay out of a chandlery you save money. Use fishing/hunting stuff while sailing. But it's under a set of high tech purpose built foulies with Dubarries on my feet. Struck by how much free time you guys have. I don't have enough time to get the sailing in I want to do. Can't wait to move on the boat fulltime and just cruise. Boy am I jealous.
Old 08-06-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The first time I wore a set of warm dry Woolrich forest camo GoreTex pants on a boat, I swore that was because I planned to go duck hunting on the way. Spent all of about $50 instead of $300, do I really care if they aren't hi-viz color? They're warm, they're dry, they're eminently affordable. And they stayed that way, through green water.
smurphny likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
New York Sailor

EliotR is on a distinguished road
Foulies - anything other than Musto worthwhile?

I'm planning in sailing from Newport, RI to Tortola in late October. What do I need for Foulies? Does anyone have used for sale?
Old 09-13-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Weather can range from 85 hot and humid to 25 and snowing that time of the year. It's a tough mission to have the right combination of clothes. Layers. Have plenty of dry non-cotton long underwear as well as shorts and short sleeves, fleece in different weights, stuff you can peel off and put on as conditions change. Have a good windbreaker. Sometimes my boat looks as if a clothes bomb went off when sailing in spring or fall. Most of the time, roomy single layer rain gear is best so layers can be adjusted underneath. A heavy, insulated rain jacket is no good when it's hot although, as I mentioned above, the Goretex LL Bean Maine Wardens Jacket is mighty nice if it's cold. It's colder and damper on the water than in the mountains so at 40 degrees on a boat a winter weight jacket is a welcome piece of clothing.
Old 09-13-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Eliot, good used foulies--good dry ones--may not be likely since folks tend to keep them forever if they are any good. You might find something in a secondhand store in Newport but that's cutting it close.

Newport and Tortola will be very different climates but you might get away with a good GoreTex uninsulated or lightweight shell, which would work in Tortola, and enough space to add some good wool or synthetic layers under it to keep you warm in Newport. Along with thermal pants or synthetic overpants. And of course a good wool watch cap.

The way that a hood and wind collar fit can be a huge difference offshore in wind, so if your budget allows for it at all, go shopping, find a jacket that fits your head and neck snugly to retain the heat and keep water and wind out. Personally I'd call that the most crucial fit, because there is plenty of "waterproof" gear these days. Camping outlets like sierratradingpost and stores like Cabelas often have sale merchandise that will do quite well for the occasional sailor, well below marine prices.
Old 09-13-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

If you'll be outside at all, then opt for the serious good gear.
Old 09-13-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road

I interviewed with Eric Forsyth about going on his current trip. I asked him about what to get for gear and he said "I don't spend a lot." I think he said he spends a couple of hundred on the west marine stuff. If it's good enough for Antarctica ...

Then again he's British.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 09-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Found L.L.Bean pants made to wear under waders on sale. Fleece inside and slippery water proof outside. Theywere on sale. Perfect under foulies and get to wear them fishing.

Tags
cold , foul weather gear , foulies , fowlies , wet