Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
Foulies - anything other than Musto worthwhile?

Well hello sailors,

I'm in the market for some new and better foul weather gear. The new Musto HPX jacket is going for about $900 US, with bibs clocking in around $600. They also make a drysuit for about $1600, which doesn't seem like a terrible deal considering it's within $100 of the combined total of the other two pieces and seems likely to provide a higher level of comfort - with the drawback that in more moderate conditions it is a little less adaptable. Henri Lloyd, of which I've been a big fan for their inshore/coastal apparel makes an offshore jacket for a little less than the Musto, any experience here if it's up to the same task? Another consideration is the smock-type top, which again seems somewhat less adaptable in favorable conditions, but I'd think would have to be a lot more bomb-proof in adverse ones.

Also, I've been looking at Grundens, a manufacturer of gear for commercial offshore fishing. Their outerwear looks like it probably isn't up to the task of being on deck for the duration that sailing is likely to require, but some of their mid and base layer stuff looks pretty decent for the $$$. Anyone have any experience with them?

So, what's your take? What do you wear offshore and what do you love and hate about it? I'm particularly interested in hearing from you Pacific Northwest folks! I may be participating in the Pacific Cup this year, but whether or not that comes to pass, I will be competing in OYRA events out of the SF Bay and have sufficiant long-term cruising aspirations to justify this expense in my own mind's eye. Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Thanks,
hugh
Old 02-11-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
For example i have the better west marine set and while its fine 90% of the time that other 10% really sucks

To me the question is will any two piece work as well as the dry-suit in that 10 % ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
If you've got the money to burn, buy the best foulies you can and don't look back. Second guessing your self (as in "could I have gotten something just as good for half the price?") could be a mite bit frustrating. Only you are going to be able to assess whether the extra $1K you spend on the Musto's as opposed to the West Marine (or other) set is really worth it.

As to that 10% that Tom pointed out: There are times when the weather just downright sucks, and you are forced to either take it on or admit defeat. There's a subtle difference between being uncomfortable and being at risk of becoming a hypothermia victim -- the challenge is to manage the risks, take preventative measures, and recognize when you have crossed the line from suck-ex to actual danger.
rikhall likes this.
Old 02-11-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
I have a West marine set and I find it works out well! You still have to watch what you do or how you wear it: it's not a space suit ! Just part of the equipment needed...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-11-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Gil coastal has served me well over the years including sailing
winter here in northeast.
Grunden foulies was my brothers choice when he fished commercially
in Alaska...he was very pleased...but as stated not ideal for sailing.

As an aside there is a thread on cruisers forum talking up an
inexpensive no name set of foulies for $85.(from Overstocked.com) have gotten very good reviews. I have ordered a set to keep on board for unsuspecting crew and a back up to my back up.
We shall see? Will advise when I receive.
Old 02-11-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road
Gill has a lifetime guarantee that actually works. The zipper blew out on my jacket and I sent it back (no receipt or any proof at all of where I got it) and they fixed it. This after the equivalent from Musto blew out a zipper and I had to buy a new one.
Old 02-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Gill has a lifetime guarantee that actually works. The zipper blew out on my jacket and I sent it back (no receipt or any proof at all of where I got it) and they fixed it. This after the equivalent from Musto blew out a zipper and I had to buy a new one.
Okay, blowing out one zipper I could chalk up to manufacturer's defect. But two? dude, you just gotta admit, you are no longer a "medium."

Old 02-11-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
The SN store (marine.com) sells the Gill gear - and has free shipping right now. You should check that out since they typically have great prices on stuff. For example, this off-shore jacket (http://shop.sailnet.com/foul-weather...1122_1961.html) is $60 less at SN than at West Marine. So definitely take a look.

Though these probably wouldn't work for you, I came across an insanely good deal on coastal foulies:

Nautical Foul Weather Set | Overstock.com

$85 for jacket AND bibs! I was a little skeptical at first, but figured I couldn't lose. I just got them in yesterday and they are actually very nice quality.

I sail mostly in the Gulf, so we don't have to deal with the bitter cold like you guys do. For the warmish kind of sailing, I don't think you could go wrong with these things.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Henry Loyd has good stuff, Gill too Helly Hansen too, lots of good stuff around....but if you want the better stuff you have to pay. Hi-tech materials, breathable and completely waterproof, are expensive.

Men's Sailing Clothing, Men's Yatching Gear, Sailing Jacket

Henri Lloyd Official Online Store

Men’s Jackets - Skiing, Outdoor, Sailing & Training - Helly Hansen Official Online Store
Old 02-11-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Yea, Smack that's what I ordered, sounds encouraging...
but probably not what sfchallenger is looking for.

Tags
cold , foul weather gear , foulies , fowlies , wet