Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Plug a charger into the 120 volt outlet. You will get far more amps than the 12 volt outlet on the generator.
Old 02-14-2012

HMoll is on a distinguished road
The 2000i is a tech marvel. For the cost and weight, it's hard not to carry one, but I'll share this thought. What I love about sleeping in a sailboat is the tranquility and quietness. I put my money on a 3000W inverter, a badass AGM battery bank, and if hot, just flip on my A/C on battery power. Good for weekending. When spending a few days, I'd need to run the motor for 4-6 hours during the day. Have a Mase 2.5 for sale with less than 50 hrs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
....... and if hot, just flip on my A/C on battery power. .....
You don't mean air conditioning on battery power?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-14-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road
I have two of these generators and figured I'd share some of my experiences.

They are not silent. "Relatively" quiet at idle, loud at full speed or under heavy load. On spec they're still not as loud as a cheap harbor freight/home depot/coleman generator. Two of them in parallel are able to run my Air Conditioner nicely. They are small carbureted engines and need to be maintained accordingly. Keep spare spark plugs around as they'll foul at times. Drain the float bowls in the carbs if you won't be using them for a while. Use stabil or something similar in the fuel.

I have a large tank kit that allows me to take a 6 gallon marine boat tank and pipe it into replacement caps on the generators. The generators then pull fuel from this tank directly and it allows for refueling without the risk of dumping gasoline on a hot generator. At idle they will run for days off of this tank.

It's up to you to decide how and when to be courteous to your neighbors. I don't have a need for these on my boat much. I do use them on my RV, at burning man in the desert, and keep them ready as a backup should we have a major power outage. It's really nice to have a portable source of power for multiple reasons. Some folks build boxes around them with open tops to deflect noise upwards but that hardly seems space efficient on a boat.

Charging wise do not use the 12v circuit directly connected to your batteries. That circuit does not have any battery charge management electronics. It will continue to try to dump 8 amps into your batteries after they have reached full charge and will eventually damage them. You will need to either run them through a charge controller (some solar controllers can handle alternate sources) or just use the 120v connection for a charger.

Cheers,

--Chris
Old 02-14-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
theres nothing on this earth that i hate more than generators!!!,if a person thinks they need all the comforts of home,then stay home!!!,if you anchor or slip next to me and run one of the dammed things all night don't expect to have a overly friendly neighbor in the morning,seriously
davidpm and ODay e-pod like this.
Old 02-15-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Uhm, the 12V output will NOT charge any batteries.
Old 02-15-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
? Stu, if you mean the 12v output on the Honda gensets, that's actually designed only to charge batteries. Apparently as a "convenience" charger, nothing fancy but enough to charge 12v batteries. (Power is too dirty for electronics, but batteries aren't that picky.)
Old 02-16-2012

tankersteve is on a distinguished road
As the OP, I appreciate the discussion. I am definitely leaning toward a 3.5 kW diesel genset. The funny part is the assumption that I want this to run AC and intend to run it all night.

What I am interested in is charging my batteries, running the watermaker, and possibly making hot water. I prefer to use a genset vice run the main auxiliary diesel engine. I am thinking of 4-6 days in a more remote anchorage. My better half still wants showers, and I want to maintain my house batteries. AC really isn't an option I am considering...

Tankersteve
Old 02-16-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
theres nothing on this earth that i hate more than generators!!!,if a person thinks they need all the comforts of home,then stay home!!!,if you anchor or slip next to me and run one of the dammed things all night don't expect to have a overly friendly neighbor in the morning,seriously

How much do you anchor out? When away from shore power for a week or so and in remote areas away from civilization, the Honda Generator is a nice tool to have on board.

If you only spend a day or two away from the slip than no, auxiliary power is probably not necessary.

The longer you spend anchored and the more remote you remove yourself, than the more you will be glad you have one.

There is nothing like having Hot water and fresh batteries when away from the slip after a week. (with out having to run the diesel) Your wife will appreciate it, believe me. LOL

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-17-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Sorry to dissagree but if you spend extended periods unpluged (more than 2 days)and you need a portable generator to handle your power needs your boat is not set up for cruising.
Jim