Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
I'm with "sawingknots". Portable generators are obnoxious in an anchorage. It's bad enough to run your auxiliary diesel, which I avoid after 8:00PM, but the all night generators do not belong in this picture. Unless you have a generator that is properly sound-proofed, you are being an inconsiderate jerk if you are anywhere near another boat in an anchorage.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012

creedence623 is on a distinguished road
Literally just placed an order for one. I'm looking forward to checking it out. This could save sailing for me. Biggest complaint the old lady has about spending any length of time on board is the lack of a hairdryer. That just translated to a new toy purchase for me!

I put some thought into how to keep the neighbors in the anchorage from hearing the generator running all night. Insulating and soundproofing the generator may be a little tricky, but with the new a/c power at anchor, I can upgrade the cockpit speakers. If I put this on a continuous loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

throughout the night, I'm confident there won't be a single complaint about generator noise!!!

I'm a sailor, I sail!

Last edited by creedence623; 02-17-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
That's what Idaho Baking potatoes are for!
Old 02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
That's what Idaho Baking potatoes are for!

I'm a sailor, I sail!
Old 02-18-2012

Paul2000 is on a distinguished road
Honda Generators are Good design for their purpose.

Your need for a generator or etiquette on when or where you run it aside, the Honda Generators like the E2000i and the E2000i Companion are good generators and some of the more quiet of their kind. I am not familiar with any marine generators that use diesel or water cooling, but for a basic gas generator they are very good. They can be connected in parallel to double their output power. This allows for good output power with two 47 lb generators. Many prefer two light ones to lift and transport rather than one large heavy one. They do synchronize when connected this way, and are actually designed to be clean power for electronics. They have economy throttle also called eco throttle where they idle down and use much less fuel. They are designed to be much more quiet than your average generator of this kind, and are preferred by RV campers who also want a quiet environment. You basic home depot generators also have dirty power that you would not want to hook up to electronics. Many pay the extra money for the Honda type generators to keep a quieter environment for themselves and their neighbors. The larger EU3000iS is quieter due to an insulated cabinet around it, but it is much heavier to lift.

I am new to sailing. If they offer a superior marine type generator that has water cooling, runs off the main fuel tank, and heats my water I would be all for that. This is one of the many topics I too will research when putting my boat together. I welcome any suggestions on type, brand, or performance parameters.

Last edited by Paul2000; 02-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Paul2000, do mean you are not familiar with a diesel water cooled gen made by Honda? Water cooled diesel gens are the standard and commonly available. Gas powered portables are the exception.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-18-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence623 View Post
Literally just placed an order for one. I'm looking forward to checking it out. This could save sailing for me. Biggest complaint the old lady has about spending any length of time on board is the lack of a hairdryer. That just translated to a new toy purchase for me!

I put some thought into how to keep the neighbors in the anchorage from hearing the generator running all night. Insulating and soundproofing the generator may be a little tricky, but with the new a/c power at anchor, I can upgrade the cockpit speakers. If I put this on a continuous loop:

The Lonely Island - I'm On A Boat ft. T-Pain - YouTube

throughout the night, I'm confident there won't be a single complaint about generator noise!!!
i'm sure we've all saw/dealt with people of your ilk,your not unigue!your wants/rights supercede everyone elses,right
Old 02-18-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
creedence623 might think his comment about running a generator in an anchorage while blasting "I'm on a Boat" was intended to be a joke. Those of us at anchor who have suffered from late night power boat raft-up parties know that there are folks who turn up the volume to drown out their portable generators. This is funny?
sawingknots likes this.
Old 02-18-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
creedence623 might think his comment about running a generator in an anchorage while blasting "I'm on a Boat" was intended to be a joke. Those of us at anchor who have suffered from late night power boat raft-up parties know that there are folks who turn up the volume to drown out their portable generators. This is funny?
do you really think so?i'm not all that amused,we don't need more noise ordinences,we need more considerate boaters/citizens
Old 02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
do you really think so?i'm not all that amused,we don't need more noise ordinences,we need more considerate boaters/citizens

Let's put on the breaks and back the Creed-bashing train up a little there guys. My post was drenched in sarcasm. I did just buy a new eu2000i, and I am very excited to check it out, but (while she does take her time getting ready in the morning) my wife's hairdryer isn't going to keep the thing running all night in a quiet anchorage.

That song is absolutely horrible, and I would rather suck-start a .45 than hear that more than once per fiscal quarter let alone on a continuous loop. Sawingknots, I like your posts, and I think given your history I should have expected some light chiding, but your failing to recognize someone taking the piss out of the a$$holes in an anchorage surprises me a little.

I think it would be right to be offended if I actually attempted to turn up a stereo to drown out the sounds of a generator, but Fallon, if you guys can't recognize a tongue in cheek parody of some "worst practices" observed while at anchor I think you need to get out there, go sailing, and try to relax. Believe me, we are on the same side of the excessive generator noise debate.

Re-reading my first post post, I can see where the delivery was pretty dead-pan, but come on, this is a forum for both information and fun. Let's try to lighten up a little guys.

I'm a sailor, I sail!

Last edited by creedence623; 02-19-2012 at 01:07 AM.