SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Honda generator(s) in lieu of running auxiliary (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/83827-honda-generator-s-lieu-running-auxiliary.html)

tankersteve 02-12-2012 08:56 PM

Honda generator(s) in lieu of running auxiliary

OK, I did some looking and couldn't really find a thread directly addressing this question, so here goes:

What are the limitations to using 1 (or 2, linked) Honda EU2000i generators to not only run AC items like tools or AC units (yes, I read all the hi-cap starting mods), but to also recharge house batteries?

Should it be done via DC (can it?) or should I be using a 120V battery charger matched to my bank's acceptance limits?

Could it be used to directly power a water maker?

I know these can be run in series (is this serial, as watts increase, not voltage?), so would this be the way to go, with 2? I understand the limitations in running these exposed in the cockpit or off the swim step to prevent fumes from entering cabin and the issues of gas vs diesel. I am really looking for whether this is a viable option to maintain my batteries AND run a watermaker, vice running the engine.

Caveat: not an electrical engineer (and just not that smart yet on boat electrical systems), but looking at whether this would be a valid option vice a very small diesel generator (3.5kW) in a permanent installation.

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks for any comments.

Steve

paperbird 02-12-2012 10:05 PM

I think you'll find lots of people doing exactly what you're suggesting. I place the Honda on the aft deck (center cockpit) and then made up a cord to plug directly into the shore power plug. The cord is rated for lot more amps than the Honda can put out so no worries on overheating. I do have to be careful not to turn on more amps than the Honda puts out.

bljones 02-12-2012 10:20 PM

diesel.
period.
the rest of the anchorage will thank you.

INMA 02-12-2012 10:28 PM

You cant connect the outputs of two portable generators together and expect them to syncronise.

It is essential to disconnect the mains as well.

If you need more capacity, either get a bigger generator or split the loads running half the load on one generator and the other half on a different generator.

It does take more generator capacity to start some electric motors than just the current to run the motor.

night0wl 02-12-2012 10:38 PM

The only problem with a Honda to charge a battery bank...is the output! Ours can only put out 8 amps. When you factor in internal resistance, its rare if not impossible to get the generator to completely top off the batteries. I only use mine when we're in a deep discharge situation....or to run the A/C on those really really hot nights.

Capt Len 02-12-2012 10:44 PM

Better to get a kybota, a big dc alt,built in water maker and an inverter for everything else. Quiet,,fuel safe and cheap.I run 110 ac freezer so it's all automatic when plugged in . I got my unit in Deer Harbour ,Wash.The cost of fuel alone for the Honda shows the way.

fallard 02-12-2012 10:53 PM

One Honda generator is bad enough, but 2? Those folks who put them on a swim platform minimize their own discomfort with the noise but reflect it to those behind them. No problem if you are off by yourself.

lbjones has some good advice. If you must have a generator, put it below with sound proofing.

benjmin 02-12-2012 11:39 PM

Yamaha generators are better and quieter than Honda. I don't understand why people don't use them.....
Visit their website and do a little research.

xort 02-13-2012 08:59 AM

Inma, you're wrong about the 2000i honda. It is designed to run 2 in tandem for higher output thru the 30 amp twistlock connector.

The issue with one 2000 is it only handles 13 amps continious. False advertising. I would like a gen as small & quiet as the honda but rated at 20 amps continious. I have many loads that are 8 to 10 amps, i can only run one at a time

night0wl 02-13-2012 09:27 AM

I may be wrong on this, but its 13 amps continuous when Eco mode is turned *OFF*. If any of you guys have heard the little Honda when Eco mode is off, its a little hellion. Almost as loud as any home depot special generator. The benefit of efficiency and noise come from when it purrs along in Eco throttle mode....which I think puts out 8 amps.