SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Honda generator(s) in lieu of running auxiliary

14K views 66 replies 30 participants last post by  stevensuf 
#1 ·
OK, I did some looking and couldn't really find a thread directly addressing this question, so here goes:

What are the limitations to using 1 (or 2, linked) Honda EU2000i generators to not only run AC items like tools or AC units (yes, I read all the hi-cap starting mods), but to also recharge house batteries?

Should it be done via DC (can it?) or should I be using a 120V battery charger matched to my bank's acceptance limits?

Could it be used to directly power a water maker?

I know these can be run in series (is this serial, as watts increase, not voltage?), so would this be the way to go, with 2? I understand the limitations in running these exposed in the cockpit or off the swim step to prevent fumes from entering cabin and the issues of gas vs diesel. I am really looking for whether this is a viable option to maintain my batteries AND run a watermaker, vice running the engine.

Caveat: not an electrical engineer (and just not that smart yet on boat electrical systems), but looking at whether this would be a valid option vice a very small diesel generator (3.5kW) in a permanent installation.

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks for any comments.

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you'll find lots of people doing exactly what you're suggesting. I place the Honda on the aft deck (center cockpit) and then made up a cord to plug directly into the shore power plug. The cord is rated for lot more amps than the Honda can put out so no worries on overheating. I do have to be careful not to turn on more amps than the Honda puts out.

#4 ·
You cant connect the outputs of two portable generators together and expect them to syncronise.

It is essential to disconnect the mains as well.

If you need more capacity, either get a bigger generator or split the loads running half the load on one generator and the other half on a different generator.

It does take more generator capacity to start some electric motors than just the current to run the motor.

#5 ·
The only problem with a Honda to charge a battery bank...is the output! Ours can only put out 8 amps. When you factor in internal resistance, its rare if not impossible to get the generator to completely top off the batteries. I only use mine when we're in a deep discharge situation....or to run the A/C on those really really hot nights.

#6 ·
Better to get a kybota, a big dc alt,built in water maker and an inverter for everything else. Quiet,,fuel safe and cheap.I run 110 ac freezer so it's all automatic when plugged in . I got my unit in Deer Harbour ,Wash.The cost of fuel alone for the Honda shows the way.

#9 ·
Inma, you're wrong about the 2000i honda. It is designed to run 2 in tandem for higher output thru the 30 amp twistlock connector.

The issue with one 2000 is it only handles 13 amps continious. False advertising. I would like a gen as small & quiet as the honda but rated at 20 amps continious. I have many loads that are 8 to 10 amps, i can only run one at a time

#10 ·
I may be wrong on this, but its 13 amps continuous when Eco mode is turned *OFF*. If any of you guys have heard the little Honda when Eco mode is off, its a little hellion. Almost as loud as any home depot special generator. The benefit of efficiency and noise come from when it purrs along in Eco throttle mode....which I think puts out 8 amps.

#11 ·
The Hondas do have a direct DC outlet but as Nightowl noted output is only 8 amps, most onboard chargers are at least 10 so you are better off charging thru the 120 shorepower outlet and heating water. We find that we need to heat water every few days at anchor or on a mooring and it's faster off the generator and tops up the battery a little.

#12 ·
I have a Honda EU2000i which I used for exactly that purpose (until I installed solar panels). As mentioned, its DC output is limited, we get a much higher/faster charge using the AC output to run our Freedom2500 inverter/charger.

One "nit" is that I had to reduce the "power sharing" setting of the Freedom charger slightly to prevent its initial bulk charge from tripping the Honda's overcurrent limit. On paper and as measured with an ammeter the charger's AC draw is still just within the generator's capacity, but in the first 20-30 seconds or so the charger often trips it. Reducing the charger to (if I recall) some 80% of max lets the Honda survive the Freedom's start-up surge and hasn't materially affected my charging on shore power (come to think of it, I don't believe I ever set the charger back to "max" since changing to solar).

The Honda is pretty quiet at idle and under load (obviously not as quiet as solar panels, but a lot smaller than three 130W Kyocera panels and the arch that holds them up). ECO mode reduces the noise under light load and automatically throttles up on demand, so I'm not aware of any power reduction when using ECO, except that they recommend ECO be switched off with intermittent loads and to cope with heavy start-up loads. In fact, the sound of the generator slowing to near-idle aboard was an indication that the charger had backed off from "bulk" to "float" mode.

Interestingly, this thread prompted me to check the generator and Honda docs regarding the parallel option (and make three trips to my garage to check the serial number), and look for the (non-existent) parallel jacks. Short version: there is indeed an option to parallel two identical generators to increase capacity, but it is not present on my Canadian-purchased unit (presumeably due to its meeting stricter CSA rules vs UL). Looking at the schematic in the US version's manual, the parallel jacks are simply in parallel with the inverter output, but before the circuit breaker. Personally I would not run two generators simply from the noise/space/bother aspect. While one is quiet, two not-quite-in-sync are likely to be less pleasant to listen to, even if theoretically only 3dB louder. Would be interested in feedback from anyone who has actually paralleled two of these units.

Still happy with the generator, now keep it at home to deal with occasional power failures.

#15 ·
First, the OP may be underestimating his needs if he wants to run air conditioning and a water maker. Chances are if you have a boat with a watermaker and air conditioning you probably also have a microwave and a tv, etc.

Second , by the time you put two 2000 watt Honda generators together you are approaching the same physical size as a 3 kw diesel generator.

Third, there are lots of 3-5 kw diesel generators out there

Kohler Power Systems Marine Diesel Generators

#14 ·
Thanks, all for the replies. I am thinking that my sailing plans of the future will include one of the small 3.5 kW gensets and perhaps a solar panel or two. For a 2-year trip, the cost of the solar panels may not be worth the power provided. I will need to increase diesel capacity.

One question - will a small, fresh-water cooled diesel gen allow one to heat a hot-water heater? I was thinking the coolant water would run through the heater before the heat exchanger? Not much experience right here.

Anyway, the vision is a small generator, running 2 or so hours a day, topping off the batteries, perhaps running the fridge, and powering a water maker. Ok, maybe I need a bigger genset...

Tankersteve

#17 ·
I run two Honda generators with little noise two others, so they say. I only take one with me if the weather is mild and you can talk in a normal voice next to it. They run about six hours on a tank of gas off econo mode and about 10 on econo. When there not in use I take it to shore being it weight is 47lbs. At the time the two were about $1900 with shipping. Once I get some panels up I won't use them much except for the ac. Think it over.

#19 · (Edited)
Please consider your neighbors.
After dark even the splashing of a genset gets loud. I had 2 rafted power boats anchor next to me a couple years back. The exaust for their gensets on both boats was venting twords the other boat. The echo was incredibly loud. They ran all night. We couldn't sleep. I sent their yacht club a very plesant letter. I will remember their burgee forever.
I had another incident w/ a sailboat anchor on top of us. At dusk they pulled out a portable generator, put it on their swim platform, fire it up and go below. It couldn't have been 20' from my bow. After about an hour for some reason it stalled and they couldn't restart it. Not sure what happened. Bad gas I guess.
Jim

#22 ·
The 2000i is a tech marvel. For the cost and weight, it's hard not to carry one, but I'll share this thought. What I love about sleeping in a sailboat is the tranquility and quietness. I put my money on a 3000W inverter, a badass AGM battery bank, and if hot, just flip on my A/C on battery power. Good for weekending. When spending a few days, I'd need to run the motor for 4-6 hours during the day. Have a Mase 2.5 for sale with less than 50 hrs.

#24 ·
I have two of these generators and figured I'd share some of my experiences.

They are not silent. "Relatively" quiet at idle, loud at full speed or under heavy load. On spec they're still not as loud as a cheap harbor freight/home depot/coleman generator. Two of them in parallel are able to run my Air Conditioner nicely. They are small carbureted engines and need to be maintained accordingly. Keep spare spark plugs around as they'll foul at times. Drain the float bowls in the carbs if you won't be using them for a while. Use stabil or something similar in the fuel.

I have a large tank kit that allows me to take a 6 gallon marine boat tank and pipe it into replacement caps on the generators. The generators then pull fuel from this tank directly and it allows for refueling without the risk of dumping gasoline on a hot generator. At idle they will run for days off of this tank.

It's up to you to decide how and when to be courteous to your neighbors. I don't have a need for these on my boat much. I do use them on my RV, at burning man in the desert, and keep them ready as a backup should we have a major power outage. It's really nice to have a portable source of power for multiple reasons. Some folks build boxes around them with open tops to deflect noise upwards but that hardly seems space efficient on a boat.

Charging wise do not use the 12v circuit directly connected to your batteries. That circuit does not have any battery charge management electronics. It will continue to try to dump 8 amps into your batteries after they have reached full charge and will eventually damage them. You will need to either run them through a charge controller (some solar controllers can handle alternate sources) or just use the 120v connection for a charger.

Cheers,

--Chris

#29 ·
How much do you anchor out? When away from shore power for a week or so and in remote areas away from civilization, the Honda Generator is a nice tool to have on board.

If you only spend a day or two away from the slip than no, auxiliary power is probably not necessary.

The longer you spend anchored and the more remote you remove yourself, than the more you will be glad you have one.

There is nothing like having Hot water and fresh batteries when away from the slip after a week. (with out having to run the diesel) Your wife will appreciate it, believe me. LOL

#28 ·
As the OP, I appreciate the discussion. I am definitely leaning toward a 3.5 kW diesel genset. The funny part is the assumption that I want this to run AC and intend to run it all night.

What I am interested in is charging my batteries, running the watermaker, and possibly making hot water. I prefer to use a genset vice run the main auxiliary diesel engine. I am thinking of 4-6 days in a more remote anchorage. My better half still wants showers, and I want to maintain my house batteries. AC really isn't an option I am considering...

Tankersteve

#31 ·
I'm with "sawingknots". Portable generators are obnoxious in an anchorage. It's bad enough to run your auxiliary diesel, which I avoid after 8:00PM, but the all night generators do not belong in this picture. Unless you have a generator that is properly sound-proofed, you are being an inconsiderate jerk if you are anywhere near another boat in an anchorage.

#32 · (Edited)
Literally just placed an order for one. I'm looking forward to checking it out. This could save sailing for me. Biggest complaint the old lady has about spending any length of time on board is the lack of a hairdryer. That just translated to a new toy purchase for me!

I put some thought into how to keep the neighbors in the anchorage from hearing the generator running all night. Insulating and soundproofing the generator may be a little tricky, but with the new a/c power at anchor, I can upgrade the cockpit speakers. If I put this on a continuous loop:

throughout the night, I'm confident there won't be a single complaint about generator noise!!!

#37 ·
Literally just placed an order for one. I'm looking forward to checking it out. This could save sailing for me. Biggest complaint the old lady has about spending any length of time on board is the lack of a hairdryer. That just translated to a new toy purchase for me!

I put some thought into how to keep the neighbors in the anchorage from hearing the generator running all night. Insulating and soundproofing the generator may be a little tricky, but with the new a/c power at anchor, I can upgrade the cockpit speakers. If I put this on a continuous loop:

The Lonely Island - I'm On A Boat ft. T-Pain - YouTube

throughout the night, I'm confident there won't be a single complaint about generator noise!!!
i'm sure we've all saw/dealt with people of your ilk,your not unigue!your wants/rights supercede everyone elses,right

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.