Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2003

sneuman is on a distinguished road
hull paint

I''ve decided that having my hull professionally sprayed with AwlGrip is just too expensive. What is the thinking on the best brush-applied alternative?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
hull paint

Check out:
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/
You might call their 800 number to discuss their one part Toplac versus two-part Interthane Plus to figure what you can work with best. Your preperation of the hull will determine 90% of the resulting finish. Practice once on a dingy if you can. Also oconsider sticking with white only as it will least show the inevitable brush strokes.
If your boat is worth $800/foot or more spending $125-150/foot for Awlgrip will pay for itself, versus the loss in value if you paint it yourself - just my opinion...

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
hull paint

FYI tried "brightsides" on our Blue Jay''s topsides and found it did not hold up well to the sundry dings & tribulations of a single season. If you don''t want to re-do it every year, go with a 2-part poly.
Old 10-30-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
hull paint

The "roll and tip" method with the brushable 2-part paints, esp in white, can be very nice. Not as professional looking as a sprayed job, but very nice nonetheless. Prep is very important. Also conditions during the painting are important (amount of thinner to use, etc). I have seen such paint jobs and I would consider it acceptable. I personally have tried it on a hard dingy (much smaller job, obviously!!!) and it worked OK. I would recommend trying it on a sample--for instance a dingy--and see if the results are acceptable to you. I second the 2-part vs the 1-part. I put both on that hard dingy--different parts of the boat--and only the 2-part held up well.
Good luck!!!!
Old 10-30-2003

deseely is on a distinguished road
hull paint

I used a different brand of paint but I found that I got the best results by rolling the paint with a foam roller and leaving it alone. Every time I tried to "tip" with a brush, I did more damage than good. It will look terrible and have bubbles in it right after rolling but within 20 minutes it will flow out smooth and look great. Pull a small part off of you boat and try it. I started with the sea hood. I had to sand the paint back off a few times until got the hang of it but you may be supprised how good it looks with just a roller.
Old 10-30-2003

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
hull paint

Sneuman,

You might consider doing ALL the prep work yourself to save $$$ and then use the big money to pay a pro to apply the paint.

A good job makes you feel fabulous while a poor job after all that work brings on suicidal thoughts ....
Old 10-30-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
hull paint

The couple of boat refinishers I have known would not paint a boat that they did not prep, as the prep is so fundamental to the result. I would worry that someone willing to just spray the hull may lack the expertise to do it properly (no runs, no orange peel, no dust...).
As with most things nautical, the best you can hope for is to actually get what you pay for, nothing more. Quality costs.