It's February work week on the boat (off work for a few days). Here's a copy of a post I just put on our blog at
A Sailing Voyage | A Journal About Sailing a Rival 34 Sailboat on the Southern Coast of England
Winter Upgrades to Our Rival 34
It's winter break, and I'm spending a few days on the boat. I had a very good meeting with Kemp Sails and Kiwi Rigging (both in Gosport) this morning about some winter upgrades to be done in the next few weeks. I'd like to think that I have a small pot of money to use every two years for some nice upgrades to our boat. Two years ago it was new primary winches from Lewmar. This year it's all about the sails and rigging.
First, we are having Kemp Sails of Gosport build us one of their modern stackpacks with lazy jacks. This should make dropping the sail and putting in reefs easier with a husband/wife crew like ours, and our current sail tie and sail cover system are end of life anyway. This is a relatively affordable upgrade, and we look forward to it. (In particular my wife seems to like the idea of me doing less ping-ponging up and down on the fore deck as we enter Poole or similar rough entry areas.)
Second, it's been embarassing that we haven't had a good preventer system for the boom for down-run sailing in choppy conditions. As you might guess, the English Channel is typically choppy conditions. At the London boat show I picked up all the gear (line, Harken block, stainless fittings) for a nice end of book preventer that runs to the bow and back, and I have that all set up. Once the stackpack from Kemp cleans up our boom, I might consider rigging the preventer to be under the boom an ready all the time.
Third, we had the genoa taken down today and Kemp is going to shorten the head by 2-3 inches so that we can increase the tension on the halyard. It runs right to the block now, but we don't seem to get enough tension and this affects upwind performance. That should be an easy fix and should be done in a couple of days. Otherwise, the North Sails genoa is in great shape, and no other cleaning or repairs are needed at this time.
Fourth, now that the mainsail has been measured for the stackpack, I'm taking it off later this week to deliver to Kemp for repairs and cleaning. That should be done in 2-3 weeks. I like our North Sails main, but it's developed some mildew spots and has one or two holes worn through up by the luff of the sail.
Kiwi Rigging of Gosport is visiting our boat next week to install the two blocks for the lazy jacks and to do a rigging check. Since I'm a touch lazy this year, I've also asked them to repack all five of our winches (since it's been two years). I don't expect anything negative from the rigging check, but I like having one done every two years.
Other things-- I need to change the oil this week and I plan to upgrade the fuel filter from a CAV to a Racor spin-on. In previous years, I always get a 50/50 chance that the dumb multiple seals on the three part CAV filter don't perfectly align and leak, so I have to disassemble and redo a second time (and this is far back behind the engine in a painful to reach space). I was inspired by Paul Heiney to do this upgrade, since he reminded me that replacing clogged CAV filters at sea could be extremely difficult and nausea producing. The spin-on Racors will still need to be bled, but at least they won't require the three part glass and metal and rubber O ring dance.
If I have any funds left, I'd like some LED cabin lights for reading, but they can wait. Also, in the future I'd like Lith-ion batteries, but not yet. If I were sailing the Azores this year (and I wish I were), I might also consider installing a Walden boom-brake (which I also saw at the London Boat Show, or I could bring one back from the states), but I don't think we need it for this season of sailing. Maybe next year!