Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
If you have a propane powered stove, this means that you have one less fuel to carry with you. Here is what I currently have to carry:
  1. Diesel - in tank
  2. Propane - in locker
  3. Two-stroke Gas/Oil/Stabil mix - in spare propane locker

The Lehr would eliminate the need for #3.

That, and not having to worry about a gummed up carb, makes it appealing to me.

Also, I believe that they run on the 1lb disposable cylinders.

Unfortunately, like any other 4 stroke, they will require periodic oil changes...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Lehr seems to be doing a nice weedwacker for Sears which is pretty inpressive BUT i gotta be a littel bit concerned about who is making the base outboard ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarter92 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but a 5hp motor "should be" 5hp whether it's powered by gas or propane. So maybe it's a little bigger displacement than a 5hp gas, but the end result is the same and should have just as much power.

Just my 2 cents

Austin
I thought about that after I posted, but figured somebody smarter then me would correct me. Meanwhile, I am baking bagels and making beef stew. That sorta had (has) my attention.
5 hp is 5 hp. I wonder what the torque is like?

Old 02-20-2012

CoralReefer is on a distinguished road
I saw this on Ship Shape TV. From the demo it looked real nice. Burn equivalent was stated to be 1# propane equal to 1 gallon of gas. Has a connector on the front of the engine to connect larger propane tanks. They said that they produced the entire engine with larger HP's to come soon. Great idea looking forward to how this does in the market place.
Old 02-20-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I thought about that after I posted, but figured somebody smarter then me would correct me. Meanwhile, I am baking bagels and making beef stew. That sorta had (has) my attention.
5 hp is 5 hp. I wonder what the torque is like?
My brother had a Ford F-150 that was propane powered. It is actually a pretty easy conversion to a carburated engine. His truck was about as responsive, torquey, and had about as much power as a gas truck. Basically it felt just the same to drive as gas. It also got about the same MPG per gallon of propane as it did as a gas/petrol powered pickup (natural gas conversions get about 1/2 the efficiency per gallon as propane).

I noticed that NOWHERE on their website did they mention the efficiency or estimated usage of propane. How far can we go on a tank anyway???? I emailed the company that very question and will post the response here.

I'm personally quite interested because it would completely eliminate the need to carry around gasoline. I'd much rather only carry 2 fuels than 3. On the other hand, if the efficiency is poor, lugging propane tanks around is a bear and I hear it can be hard to source propane in far off places.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-21-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"A 20-pound propane bottle will power the engine for about 50 hours, or roughly the same run time as a conventional outboard and 5-gallon tank. ... Notes Lehr founder and CEO, Capt. Bernardo Herzer, the engines will cost you about half as much to run as a gasoline-powered outboard because propane is less expensive than gas."

Obviously this is technology from Area51, because a "20" pound propane bottle is usually filled to something like 17 pounds now that the "new" safety valves are in them all. And at something like $20 per fill, that would make them dollar for dollar even with a five gallon gasoline fill at $4/gallon, which is marina pricing not road pricing. yet.

Burning cleaner, yes. No degunking, yes. Handy for a lake boat when you've already got two 20# bottles on the deck for your grill. But this is the first time I've heard the fuel densityof propane and gasoline are the same, I'd expect a 20# propane bottle to last only half as long as a five gallon gasoline tank.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 02-21-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
How cool!

I would not hate outboards so much if I could eliminate the gas/petrol related issues. I have been running a trolling motor on my inflatable but the concentrated weight of the battery does not work well and batteries take too long to charge when off the grid.

The idea of running the tender on the 16.4 oz cartridges is great. The 16.4 oz cartridges are refillable - see:
Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!

If nothing else this gives me an excuse to go to West Marine. Anyone know how long the backorder queue is?
Old 02-21-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
I want to run a 5Hp motor 50 hours on 5 gallons of anything
bubb2 likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"A 20-pound propane bottle will power the engine for about 50 hours, or roughly the same run time as a conventional outboard and 5-gallon tank. ... Notes Lehr founder and CEO, Capt. Bernardo Herzer, the engines will cost you about half as much to run as a gasoline-powered outboard because propane is less expensive than gas."

Obviously this is technology from Area51, because a "20" pound propane bottle is usually filled to something like 17 pounds now that the "new" safety valves are in them all. And at something like $20 per fill, that would make them dollar for dollar even with a five gallon gasoline fill at $4/gallon, which is marina pricing not road pricing. yet.

Burning cleaner, yes. No degunking, yes. Handy for a lake boat when you've already got two 20# bottles on the deck for your grill. But this is the first time I've heard the fuel densityof propane and gasoline are the same, I'd expect a 20# propane bottle to last only half as long as a five gallon gasoline tank.
Do you know if that quote is for the 2.5 or 5HP motor? Also I wonder what throttle they're talking about. Half? Full?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-22-2012
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
Anything that uses the 1 lbs bottles as fuel is NOT environmentally friendly. The bottles are disposable, which means they go in a land fill if you are lucky. Most landfills, at least in Canada, won't take them, and they need to be disposed of at a hazardous waste depot, and they charge to take them, about the same price as they cost to buy.

If you convert an outboard to propane, make sure it uses the refillable bottles if you are concerned about the environment. Refillable bottles come in sizes as small as 5 lbs.