Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road
The difference between the deck stepped mast and a keel stepped mast goes back to the structural decisions made by the yacht designer.

The keel stepped mast is more rigid and uses lower stress levels resulting in a robust and stable system.

The advantage of the deck stepped mast is it can be more flexible, with the corresponding increases in stress and potential for more failures.

Technology and the experience of making production yachts where the deck stepped masts are thoroughly trialed before the design is sold on mass have changed the design and operating environment.

Racing yachts have provided cruising yachts with huge technical improvements in a very short period.

A few decades ago, the mast and standing rigging was designed to be a fixed structure and the sails were added to it then adjusted.

Now yacht design balances the whole system including hull rig and sails so they work in harmony so the yacht works efficiently in real sailing conditions.

Anyone who has sailed a modern yacht with a flexible fractional rig will understand the need for sail changes as wind conditions change are becoming less often. Modern fractional rigs which are bent and tuned for varying conditions are efficient, reliable and easy to handle.

There may be room for more rigid rigs on cruising applications but the greater understanding of yacht structure means there is less need or value for keel stepped masts. Decked stepped masts have lots of advantages and keel stepped masts do not offer any advantage on newer designs.

There are issues with lighter rigs such as maintaining rig tension to hold furlers straight on a flexible mast. Its all compromises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Interesting thread so far. I'm not a too familiar with a reinforced arch design. Would someone elaborate a bit on those?
Thanks in advance.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-15-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Thank you so much for the very kind words. A lot of kind people have helped me throughout my sailing career and I try to return the favor when I can.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
I mainly quoted the above to give the link back, I deleted most of Jeff's post.

Jeff_H, I want to state that I greatly admire your posts, and make a point to read all that I see. You personify the old saying of "he's forgotten more than I'll ever know". You also write well, express yourself clearly, and don't try to talk over our heads. You are interested in imparting knowledge, not showing off. Thank you for taking the time to educate us and share some of your insights.

I'm a novice in comparison to many, but I have had both types of mast steps. I will never own another keel stepped mast. The amount of water that streams down a mast during wind and rain is incredible, lots of it goes into the bilge with a keel stepped mast no matter how you try to keep it out. I've had one dismasting with a keel step, and it tore the cabin top as it came down. I was able to limp home under sail, using the boom to "sort of" hold up the main.

Raising and lowering a deck stepped mast is so much easier and safer that there is no comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 02-15-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Thank you so much for the very kind words. A lot of kind people have helped me throughout my sailing career and I try to return the favor when I can.

Jeff
And you do a superb job!
Old 02-15-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
A bendy mast , while having it's advantage on a racing yacht , is a liability on a cruising boat. A mast failure in a racing boat is nowhere near as dangerous as a mast failure in mid Pacific, where it could mean months of slow sailing under a jury rig , while running out of food and water. The much greater consequences of mast failure on a cruising yacht are just to great to make a bendy mast worth the risk.
Some racing boats have been showing up at races with several bendy masts on a trailer , expecting to break one or two. No offshore cruising boat could afford to be that cavalier about rig safety.
It was interesting , tho, to see a Kiwi boat win the America's cup with a mast as stiff as a brick Brings into question the value of a bendy mast.
My mast arch is a half inch steel plate on edge under a steel deck; no chance of any water ingression.
Old 02-16-2012

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
I've had both and have had a total dismasting with the deck stepped mast. A keel stepped mast most like would have failed also under the circumstances. My current keel stepped mast does take in a little water but it seems a little more stable in a seaway. I like the fact that I can adjust the rake on the keel stepped mast which wasn't possible with the deck stepped ( I race). I guess it is to each his own.

PS- For any of those who think you might be able to salvage your mast during a storm think again. I can see saving your mast when it falls down due to a rigging failure in moderate conditions but in a seaway with high winds and waves it is dangerous at best. I can tell you, from experience, that a broken mast over the side with sails submerged and the rig pounding on your hull is a powerful motivator to cut everything away as quick as possible. I can also tell you it is not easy to do especially at night with the boat pitching and rolling. When that mast goes and you are beam to the wind you really don't care what kind of mast you have. Your only consideration is how fast you can get rid of it.
Old 02-16-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
I can tell you, from experience, that a broken mast over the side with sails submerged and the rig pounding on your hull is a powerful motivator to cut everything away as quick as possible. I can also tell you it is not easy to do especially at night with the boat pitching and rolling. When that mast goes and you are beam to the wind you really don't care what kind of mast you have. Your only consideration is how fast you can get rid of it.
You raise an important concern. In the (good?) old days they kept an axe handy to cut away rigging. I'm not sure what the best tool choices would be with today's steel cables and metal masts. Any suggestions or thoughts of what you wished you'd had on hand during your dreadful experience? I've always found steel cable to be incredibly difficult to cut, I don't know what the correct tool for it is.
Old 02-16-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
I've had both and have had a total dismasting with the deck stepped mast. A keel stepped mast most like would have failed also under the circumstances. My current keel stepped mast does take in a little water but it seems a little more stable in a seaway. I like the fact that I can adjust the rake on the keel stepped mast which wasn't possible with the deck stepped ( I race). I guess it is to each his own.

PS- For any of those who think you might be able to salvage your mast during a storm think again. I can see saving your mast when it falls down due to a rigging failure in moderate conditions but in a seaway with high winds and waves it is dangerous at best. I can tell you, from experience, that a broken mast over the side with sails submerged and the rig pounding on your hull is a powerful motivator to cut everything away as quick as possible. I can also tell you it is not easy to do especially at night with the boat pitching and rolling. When that mast goes and you are beam to the wind you really don't care what kind of mast you have. Your only consideration is how fast you can get rid of it.
Agreed, my dismasting was in very extreme conditions and there was no choice, really but to cut. I did manage to save the boom, however.
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
You raise an important concern. In the (good?) old days they kept an axe handy to cut away rigging. I'm not sure what the best tool choices would be with today's steel cables and metal masts. Any suggestions or thoughts of what you wished you'd had on hand during your dreadful experience? I've always found steel cable to be incredibly difficult to cut, I don't know what the correct tool for it is.
We carry a pair of bolt cutters and a hacksaw, but I keep meaning to source some good carbide blades for the hacksaw.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-16-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yachting Monthly has some great videos- here is one on demasting:
YachtingMonthly's Channel - YouTube

Tags
mast , mast stepping

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.