Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-16-2012

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
A couple of things we learned. My incident happened at night. We got caught in a microburst on Lake Erie. Winds went from 18 to 70knots instantly and remained there for about 20 minutes. The infamous Lake Erie confused steep 4 foot chop was a bigger problem. A hacksaw is useless in these conditions as the boat goes abeam to the waves. The boat will pitch and alternately roll pretty violently in these conditions. No way you can get a hacksaw to work especially at night. We lost the whole rig and the boom as the boom was attached to a rigid vang which was twisted causing it to lock tightly. Be mindful that the rig was pounding on the hull so there was a sense of urgency. Bolt cutters would work for the rig with some difficulty because of the boat motion and movement of the shrouds. I wish I had a Holmatro EXC 14H. A Felco 12 cutter might work also which I now have. As it was, my racing crew of 5 was pretty handy. We had Johnson Wrap pins Wrap Pins, Velcro Locking Wrap 5/16in,3/8in (2) Johnson Marine on the turnbuckles so we just unscrewed the turnbuckles and and cut the hitech halyards with a sharp serrated knife. The biggest problem was the headstay which had an aluminum Harken foil. Not easy to cut especially when it is moving. My wife ended up hanging over the bow holding the locknut with a wrench while another crew stood over her and undid the bolt with another wrench. Sounds easy except it was night, the boat pitching, and my wife getting dunked a couple of times. That's not something you want to do on a regular basis. Bowpersons are hard to replace.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Yachting Monthly has some great videos- here is one on demasting:
YachtingMonthly's Channel - YouTube
Remind me never to let these guys borrow my boat!!
Old 02-16-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
A couple of things we learned. My incident happened at night. We got caught in a microburst on Lake Erie. Winds went from 18 to 70knots instantly and remained there for about 20 minutes. The infamous Lake Erie confused steep 4 foot chop was a bigger problem. A hacksaw is useless in these conditions as the boat goes abeam to the waves. The boat will pitch and alternately roll pretty violently in these conditions. No way you can get a hacksaw to work especially at night. We lost the whole rig and the boom as the boom was attached to a rigid vang which was twisted causing it to lock tightly. Be mindful that the rig was pounding on the hull so there was a sense of urgency. Bolt cutters would work for the rig with some difficulty because of the boat motion and movement of the shrouds. I wish I had a Holmatro EXC 14H. A Felco 12 cutter might work also which I now have. As it was, my racing crew of 5 was pretty handy. We had Johnson Wrap pins Wrap Pins, Velcro Locking Wrap 5/16in,3/8in (2) Johnson Marine on the turnbuckles so we just unscrewed the turnbuckles and and cut the hitech halyards with a sharp serrated knife. The biggest problem was the headstay which had an aluminum Harken foil. Not easy to cut especially when it is moving. My wife ended up hanging over the bow holding the locknut with a wrench while another crew stood over her and undid the bolt with another wrench. Sounds easy except it was night, the boat pitching, and my wife getting dunked a couple of times. That's not something you want to do on a regular basis. Bowpersons are hard to replace.
Thank you for the reply. On the video the hacksaw looked good, but the cable was well supported on the boat, and the collar held the small wires from fraying and moving. Perhaps there was a lot of tension also, helping it to part and clear the blade. I know from experience that the hacksaw will normally bind and drag and have difficulties if there is no supporting collar. I've never owned cable cutters, but both the straight manual cutters and the slower but easier hydraulic cutters looked like the thing to have. The explosive cutter looked too hard to use in bad conditions. I hate the idea of using wrenches and undoing nuts in an emergency.

I wouldn't want my wife hanging off there getting dunked!
Old 02-16-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Remind me never to let these guys borrow my boat!!
Yea their videos are pretty funny. Here we are babying our boats and these gues go out and beat the hell out of theirs, and that boat holds up well. There is on vid where they roll the boat to see what a capsize would be like.
Old 02-16-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road
patrscoe:

Since your boat had a keel-stepped mast, I would have thought your boat had an aluminum casting with a flange to reinforce the hole in deck and distribute the side loads from your original mast partners. If not, the Tiara folks may have molded a lip to catch the mast boot, in either case they must have factored in lateral loads on your coachroof.

If you bolt your deck-stepped mast to the deck (via your sandwich?) you might check to make sure your coachroof is securely attached to a bulkhead near the mast or that the compression/jack post is securely bolted to the original mast step. As indicated in an earlier post, there is the possibility of the coachroof lifting if it isn't otherwise constrained. My boat (keel-stepped) has a SS stay that connects to a through-bolted padeye on my cast aluminum flange (on deck) at one end and to a bulkhead that is just behind the mast at the other end.

I'd also make sure the original hole in the coachroof is properly waterproofed if you have internal halyards. And then there are the electrical penetrations and cleaning up the old mast step.

It sure looks like your are going to a lot of effort to convert your rig!

It sounds like you are going through a lot of effort to convert to the deck-stepped configuration. You must have a strong feeling about this!
Old 02-17-2012

VetMike is on a distinguished road
Wow. I got a lot more than I expected! I can now go out looking at boats with a much better understanding of the pros and cons of each. Thanks everyone.

Tags
mast , mast stepping