Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Chain and Rode

Reviewing the tackle for my Pearson 323 (~14K lbs loaded, mainly used in SF Bay). All I have rigged now is a lunch hook (10lb Danforth). I have a 35lb CQR, no rode..when I can afford it, I'll be needing 150' 3/8 chain to use the CQR as a storm anchor...but the boat is in a slip so that can wait a bit...

My next step is the working/overnight anchor - a 25lb Manson (replacing a Bruce of the same size).

Somebody gave me 150' 1/2" rode with 10' 1.4" chain. The sizing seems okay, but I was thinking more like 30' chain. So do I buy 20' and add it on (how?), or buy a 30' length, splice it in, and throw away the 10'? Or just live with 10'? The bottom is mud here (SF), so I am not too worried about chafe.

Advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
The CQR is not a very good storm anchor, regardless one chain/rode set up. I would only use it in fairly tame conditions, so I wouldn't worry too much about the set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-14-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
You should reconcider your anchor sizes, think more in the lines of 200 -300 ft of 5/8 rode,& buy 25ft. of 3/8 chain, just for starters..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-14-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

We're here on San Francisco Bay, too.
Old 02-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I realise the Manson is probably a slightly better anchor than the Bruce but I doubt very much I'd be bothered changing from one t'other.

We went from CQR to Rocna on our old boat and yes some improvement particularly in sand.

New girl has a Bruce and going on experience thus far I wouldn't bother changing to either Mansen or Rocna. As a 'storm' anchor give me Bruce over CQR any day of the week.

If I were you I'd work on the rode. We carry 90 metres of chain and a further 90 metres of rope. That'll do me.
MedSailor likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-14-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
In Frisco bay, ten feet of 3/8th chain, and the rest half inch nylon is all you need, on the 35 lb CQR.
1/4 chain is definitely to small.
I'd build another delta, as one 35 pounder can be lost, leaving you with nothing useful.
On my 31 footer I use a 55 lb delta, a 35 lb delta, a 40 lb Danforth, and a couple of 30 lb Danforths with 550 feet of half inch braided nylon, 160 feet of 3/4 dacron braid, 200 ft of 1/4 inch 7x19 wire rope, 15 feet of 3/8th chain, and some shorter lengths of chain.I only use the wire rope in the tropics, coral latitudes.
Old 02-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Jaysus Brent that is one hell of a collection of anchors.

What I don't understand is why you use a 55lber on a 31'er yet only 15' of chain.

Maybe it is just that we have different perspectives on this but me I like chain.

btw ... our primary Bruce is a 45lber, and our secondary is a Spade. I'll possibly add either another Spade or a Fortress when we head out on a more permanent basis.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 02-15-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-14-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
I'd rather have a heavier anchor than a heavier chain. An anchor on rope holds well, outside of the coral latitudes, chain with no anchor I can drag by hand. I wouldn't go south with any fewer anchors , in fact I will probably make a few more up.
With my drum winch, I can't feel the difference between a 35 pounder and a 55 pounder, hauling it up, so why would I go for the smaller one?
I have a litre of lead ( 30 lbs ) with a stainless loop on it to put on the rode, if I need more scope. That way I get to lift it by itself , and remove it, before lifting the anchor. With chain you lift a lot of the weight at the same time.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 02-14-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Wow with all those anchors, lets hope they are not all on the boat at once. Would be a lot of dead weight.

We have a 20kg Rocna and a 35 delta, and a 20 Danforth as backups. It is important to have anchors which are good for differing conditions. We have found the ROCNA to be a universally good anchor for a wide variety of conditions.

As stated before, the chain/ rode is jsut as important as the anchopr when anchoring.All that anchor with an incorrect length or size of chain deafeats the purpose.

We have 60 feet of chain as most of the water we anchor in is 30 ft or less. This allows the anchor to lie fairly still off the chain with some lying on the bottom before it starts the rise up to the boat. Off the 3/8 chain we have 300 ft of 5/8 plait anchor line
We akso carry another 250 ft of line if our depths to anchor in would increase.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-15-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback - good stuff. Clearly the right response is "it depends". Right now I am not going offshore, more like 1-3 days cruising around the Bay/Delta. Without a windlass, I am looking at lighter-weight options - a 55lb anchor with 100' of chain - my back aches at the thought of it! - and fairweather overnight anchoring.

Stu - I was developing my sizing based on the tables you posted. Matter of interest, what anchors do you have? I noticed the #22 Rocna in your sig.