Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Re: Ontario Yachts Viking 33 advice

Hello All,

I'm awakening this thread again! A new season and now it is like a normal old sailboat. I have some cosmetics to do.

Actually I had to spend an afternoon replacing ALL the SS hose clamps I bought from the auto parts store. They were simply rusting and snapping off where the worm drive meets the band... It started happening just weeks after installation. I bought the REALLY expensive ones from defender at the end of the season last year. I'm glad thats done.

Currently I'm making new handrails for the cabin top. I had them both made and just as I started finish sanding one slipped off the table and frakin' broke! There was a knot there and though it seemed solid...No knots are good knots. So, I've got as far as cutting the loops out and still need to route it and shape it and sand it... I thought I would be coating this week but, no dice!

I also bought a new hatch. The old one is a bomar with a broken hinge and missing lock knob and parts are all but impossible to find. The lens looks in pretty good shape though...

I also need to install the auto pilot I bought last year and I got new tack tick wireless wind depth speed instruments.

It looks like I won't have the windlass installed this year... I guess I'll be renting moorings all season...LOL I have a nice Rocna anchor but I'm not real keen on hauling that up by myself. I thought of installing it without a rode locker and handle the line on deck but, I'm basically a single hander with guest/s so, I'm not sure how practical that will be. I know it isn't a good idea to retrieve the anchor on the windlass alone.

All the best,
South Coast, MA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice to hear from you again, and get the update.. thanks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-14-2013

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about

Hey, guys...I'm the owner of a 1973 Viking 33, hull no. 32. While she's rather appallingly original in some respects (think brown plaid upholstery), I've made several fixes over the years, including a rebuilt Atomic 4, new standing rigging, and a few other fixes.

My blog is mostly about rebuilding my other, steel sailboat for extended cruising, but the Viking is the boat I sail when I can spare the time, and she's a bit of a test bed for stuff I want to do in the larger boat.

Anyone with Viking 33 questions, feel free to drop me a line at my blog, as I rarely post here these days.
Old 06-14-2013
1973 Viking 33

Wow What a great Photo!! I think we've emailed once or twice. You're friends with my buddy Dan who sails Ketchup!

Dan has been an invaluable source of advice, inspiration and information!!!

I've finally got around to coating the new handrails and running all the wiring for the new electronics and installed the hatch. Got come polishing in while the handrails are off. What difference a sheen makes!!

By the way, WHAT is that bow fitting??!!
South Coast, MA
Old 07-23-2013

fast2tack is on a distinguished road

Viking 33/34's were built on the corner of Spears and Woody Place in Oakville Ontario.
I remember touring the manufacturing facility in the early 1970's.
Good looking boats then.....and now.
Old 05-21-2014
1973 Viking 33

Okay, Had the bottom stripped, barrier coated and bottom painted. I also had them redo the bootstripe. Wow she looks great!

You can see my new handrails from last year!

miatapaul likes this.
South Coast, MA
Old 2 Weeks Ago
1973 Viking 33

Just updating here...

So the yard bent my shaft and broke my strut and told me the stut broke from a stress fracture after they hauled it out. Yea right!

Anyway, I had them fix and the billed me...

I also had them do the bottom job above.

So last week of may I get launched, they left my boat a Fk'n mess with the sandblast material and footprints. i complained and made them wash it.

I go to take it off the dock and to my mooring and she is vibrating so horribly the dock kid saw the rig shaking. I couldn;t even keep her in gear because the friction was boggong the A4 down to almost a stall.

Than they say "its your prop" I say "really? I think you guys bent the shaft and broke my strut at haul out." He says. "I'll stake my 46 years in the business that it is your prop. I say "okay then," I put my money where my mouth is and order the Indigo Prop and say, "put this on" They do and guess what, still vibrating.... Then FINALLY they say, "we have to haul it and remove the shaft it is the only true and fair way to assess the issue and check that shaft" I say "great, lets go"

Sure enough the shaft was bent, the Yard has owned the responsibility and we were re-launched last friday.

I was having idling issues with the A4 so i had installed a rebuilt Carb and she idles great, like never before. I kept the Idigo prop and I have to say, she has never ran so well. I've gone from the slowest under power of 5 knots to under 3 knots and a cruse speed of 5 knots with very little effort and probably could get up over 6.

We took her out for her first sail of the year on Sunday and it was spectacular! we had 15 knots and a couple of guest. I rolled out the head sail and let run go. It was just daysailing. She was hitting 7 knots thru the water with just the head sail at 100%. So, I was happy with the easy sailing and just kept at that and we were all very happy!

This boat is truly amazing! I can't wait to get back out there. She is finally mechanically sound! New engine, cutlass bearing, stuffing, shaft and prop. New standing rigging, new sails and she is a dream to sail! It was really a great day! I sailed home wanting to stay out I think for the first time ever. All our journeys seem to have been plagued with issues and lots of stress for me. But, I think she is really good order now!

Now, we did change her name while on the hard before her first launch in many years (our first launch). However, we never christened her with champagne. So, before we went anywhere on her to motor around and move out the mooring on Saturday, we picked up a couple of bottles of bubbly. I cracked one over the bow fitting and said "I christen thee the Lolita, God Bless Lolita!" I then popped the other one and poured some across the bow and all around her into the water! A little on the late side but, I'm hoping I appeased the sea Gods! LOL It was actually a fun little ceremony! If the weekend on the boat was any indication, I'd say our bases are covered!
christian.hess likes this.
South Coast, MA