Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Ontario Yachts Viking 33 advice

Hello all,

I've had the boat surveyed and the surveyor loved the boat! He said I'd probably be very happy with it and that it was in incredible shape. Very little moisture in the decks, almost none in fact. The only place that showed any cause for concern was up at the bow around the cleat. I plan on adding a windlass so I'll remove the cleat and some more of the deck in that process. I could then let it air out and remove any more of the core as necessary and replace with epoxy or inject some to try and re-laminate if necessary. I could use some advice on adding an anchor roller as the fitting doesn't really leave any accommodation for it...

I, also, plan on replacing the standing and running rigging to start and add a way of handling the mainsail more easily. i.e. dutchman or lazy jacks with some cars added to remove some friction for raising and lowering (mostly lowering).

My next question would be in regard to the mast step. It is my understanding the the original mast step was wooden. My boat has a piece of 6" aluminum channel that was bolted thru the adjacent seat base and bulkhead and lagged to the bilge stringer. The piece of channel is terribly corroded and needs replacing. I was thinking of trying to get a piece of 6" stainless channel and have it machined to the exact likeness of the aluminum and bolt it right back to where it was. I was hoping to get some opinions on the repair.

Thanks for any and all comments and advice in advance!

Humbly,
Danny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These are very pretty boats, a classic C&C design and they go upwind very well indeed..somewhat narrow and confined below compared to many others, but a sweet sailing boat just the same.

They are from the extreme era of IOR rigs with a long J measurement and very high aspect short E mains meaning huge kites and genoas.. this can lead to a handful downwind in a breeze if you're not careful about sail selection and apparent wind angles. (the dreaded 'death rolls').

However all this is avoidable if you're careful and keep an eye on a building breeze from behind.

Your plan for the mast step sounds fine - having a metal replacement is already an improvement, and is an indication that she's been looked after. Finding a fabricator to make you a new one at a reasonable price might be a challenge.

She does have a great 'row away' factor!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The main difference between the Viking 33 and Ontario 32 is that the Viking was designed more for racing, while the Ontario is designed for coastal cruising. On the inside, the Viking has a quarter berth, where the Ontario has a nav station. The Ontario has 2 more feet of beam, 2 more inches of headroom, and is 4' 6" draft compared to 6' for the Viking. Also, Ontario usually had a small Yanmar diesel, while the Viking had an Atomic-4 gasoline engine. The Vikings are usually priced lower than the Ontarios,

Though the build quality of my 84 Ontario does not ensure that of a 70's model like the Viking, I would expect it to be well built.

I've made the comparison because both boats were built by Ontario.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We owned a Viking 28 from the late 60s for 10 years.. little sister to the 33, also a C&C design. One sweet boat too, simple, lacking headroom but therefore still 'pretty', and was a superb platform for us to cut our teeth on and bring our young son into the sailing world (he was 18 days old first time out on her).

We never had any kind of structural issue with the boat, and it sailed nicely in most all conditions. It was, however, a less severe rig with shorter J and longer E relatively speaking and was nicely manageable downwind until it really got snotty.

That boat will always have a special place in our hearts.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-16-2012
1973 Viking 33

Yea I have much anticipation about this boat. I think once I get the rigging squared away and install the windlass and roller it all cosmetic at that point. i've read all I can find abou the boat and it all seems pretty positive. This is the first I've heard of the 'death roll' situation. I guess the ket to staying out of that is not to sail ddw...

My sailing experience is about 5 years on an O'Day 22 and now I've jumped up this beauty!

I've dropped off the corroded aluminum step and am having one made out of 1/4" stainless. The guy is charging me $125.00 Seemed pretty reasonable to me. I had this same guy do some plate work on the failing transom of a 18' checkmate i used to own. He does great work.

Any thoughts as to how to handle the roller?
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopDogg View Post
.....Any thoughts as to how to handle the roller?
Yes the C&C castings for the stem fittings don't leave a lot of space for a conventional add-on anchor roller, the ones available off the shelf generally won't fit without a lot of messing around to level a platform, or boost the base of the roller plate.

Since you've got a good SS fabricator at your disposal (and I agree that's pretty reasonable indeed) maybe you and he can design something that can bolt through the deck and/or casting, and be made to fit over the lip of the casting alongside the forestay, or ideally a double.. something that will offer two rollers by going on either side of the stem/forestay fitting. If you have a furler you may have some interferences to be worried about, but that too is something you may be able to work around.. an extender plate and shortening the foil a bit, perhaps? Gets a bit complicated but there's always a way.

Here's a rather poor pic of something like that.. might be worse than useless, but it's on a V33

Here's another.. rather clunky looking thing:

Last edited by Faster; 02-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2012
1973 Viking 33

I think you're right...the fabricator...I wonder if i could actually remove the fitting and maybe have a new made all together...the price could be frightening, though. I think I need to look at some newer boats and see how it is handled to get some ideas. As well as how some older boats have handled it.
rugosa likes this.
Old 02-16-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I was born and raised on a viking 28, I love the boat,solid build from the good ole days which you don't see anymore. Exellent choice enjoy the ride in a classic.
Old 02-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
From my Ontario 32
Attached Thumbnails
Ontario Yachts Viking 33 advice-stem.jpg  

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-16-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Nice Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopDogg View Post
Yea I have much anticipation about this boat. I think once I get the rigging squared away and install the windlass and roller it all cosmetic at that point. i've read all I can find abou the boat and it all seems pretty positive. This is the first I've heard of the 'death roll' situation. I guess the ket to staying out of that is not to sail ddw...

My sailing experience is about 5 years on an O'Day 22 and now I've jumped up this beauty!

I've dropped off the corroded aluminum step and am having one made out of 1/4" stainless. The guy is charging me $125.00 Seemed pretty reasonable to me. I had this same guy do some plate work on the failing transom of a 18' checkmate i used to own. He does great work.

Any thoughts as to how to handle the roller?
Don't avoid downwind sailing due to a fear of rolling a bit. Just keep in mind that most (although not all) of the early IOR designs had quite a pinched-in stern. Like any boats that are near-to-being-a-double-ender at their water line, they cannot plane off the wind. Knowing that you will not be safely going much over 8 kts off the wind, just dial down your sail area to suite the wind pressure.

There are going to be heavy air days where you can hit a maximum comfortable speed with very little sail up. Be happy with that. It's an OK thing.

There is a pay back when going up wind, though. Those symetrical water lines on the IOR boats let them sail beautifully to weather with minimum helm! Much more fun to drive to weather than some of the fat-a__ boats.

Everything's a compromise...
You have one of the prettier boats on the water. Very High "row away" factor, indeed!

L
Faster likes this.