Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Foresail slab reefing

Was looking at one of L and L Pardey's books, that suggests putting reefing points in foresails to keep from having to have a bunch of different size sails aboard. What do you think? I like the idea of paying for fewer sails. It also would be quicker/safer to reef than to change sails. Obviously, we are talking about hanked-on sails here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Was looking at one of L and L Pardey's books, that suggests putting reefing points in foresails to keep from having to have a bunch of different size sails aboard. What do you think? I like the idea of paying for fewer sails. It also would be quicker/safer to reef than to change sails. Obviously, we are talking about hanked-on sails here.
I can see your argument about needing a smaller number of sails.

But are you sure that reefing is quicker than changing for a smaller sail? You will need to tie clew and tack and reef nettles. Not sure if that is really faster than unhanking a sail and getting another one up.

Also, how good will the shape of the sail be after reefing? We all know it stinks with roller reefing; is that better with slab reefing?

I would love to be proven wrong, I have thought about reefing jibs myself but haven't done anything about it because I thought there must be a reason nobody does it.
Old 02-16-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Those are just the questions I had about the set-up too.
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We had that setup on a previous boat.

The sail sets fine, no issues such as those with partially furled sails. You can get the luff tension you need just as if you were hoisting a full sail. It is faster than a full sail change with hanks, you needn't unhank anything (or, if any, just the lower one or two), lower the halyard and attach the tack to the reef tack cringle (whether you have hooks or shackles for this may make a difference)

You do need to reposition the sheet, so if you have individual sheets, you can retie the lazy sheet to the reef cringle,(Don't forget to adjust the jib lead appropriately too), do a slow tack, during which you lower, attach the new tack, retension, and sheet in on the new (reefed) clew. This can keep you mostly moving during the maneuver, and much less disruptive than a bare headed change.

You can then, at your leisure, roll and tie up the excess sail of the reef into a tightish tube along the reef points. Hopefully by this time the 'new' sail is not a lapper and the fat sausage of the reef will easily go across the boat on the next tack.

To take the reef out you simply reverse the process.

Not as clean or as good as a proper jib (you lose luff length, of course) but it can save on inventory size. I would suggest that this is a more effective/practical idea used to turn a #3 jib into a #4 rather than 'reefing' a #1/150 genoa.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-16-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Yes, this does work. The Mini 6.5 class has been doing it for a while. They put it to use b/c of limits on the number of sails they could carry on board. Give a sailmaker a call. Price should be anywhere from $400-1000 depending on the sail size.

I'm not sure I'd want a #3 reefed to a #4. The windage on the front of the boat with the bunched up sail, and the clew should be a lot higher on a #4. Either way, it's a compromise.
Old 02-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
...I'm not sure I'd want a #3 reefed to a #4. The windage on the front of the boat with the bunched up sail, and the clew should be a lot higher on a #4. Either way, it's a compromise.
The reef points could be installed NOT parallel to the foot, raising the clew to wherever you wanted it... but yes, either way it's a compromise

I think the large amount of material on a 150, couple with the need to drag that around the rig on each tack makes the technique less advisable for long LP sails.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-16-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Original Shore Sails J24 sails had a 25% ? Reef in the 100% jib which worked really well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Hmm it is blowing 25 to 30 and I am beating to windward.

I say to my rockstar bowman " Please reef my no 4 jib and turn it into a no 3.
I do realise that you will be dallying over the lee rail while tieing in the reef points but do make it quick old boy."

Reply " Expletive deleted off "
Old 02-16-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
You still have to go forward and tidy it up, and you still have a finite number of reefs, whereas with a furling headsail you have infinite sailsize. Yeah, there is the question of sail shape with roller furling, but come on, is a reefing jib going to be THAT much better?

*Blasphemy follows. Disciples have been warned.*

I love the Pardeys for being pioneers, but much of their experimentation occurred 4 decades ago, and much of it didn't work then, all romance aside. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, if you want to work harder than you have to and be less comfortable than necessary, then by all means, Pardey it up. My point is, better solutions have come along in the four decades that L and L have been begging tows into anchorages. You wouldn't waste time modifying a Commodore 64 to allow you to post on Sailnet, would you?

Old 02-16-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
You still have to go forward and tidy it up, and you still have a finite number of reefs, whereas with a furling headsail you have infinite sailsize. Yeah, there is the question of sail shape with roller furling, but come on, is a reefing jib going to be THAT much better?
I thought the original question was reefing the foresail instead of changing down to a smaller one. If you have roller furling it isn't an issue or an option.

I have a jib with reef points but have never reefed it. I do not have roller furling and have no plans to get a furler.