Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gtod25

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

DARING2 is on a distinguished road
Wilcox crittenden head

Hi all
i need help tring to identify this wilcox and crittenden head, i just bought it and it needs to be rebuilt, seals and gaskets i was told its 1930 or so but not shure, i have tryed looking it up on google and i never find the same one as my one has a foot pedal, the markings on the bronze main body say type n, any help would be great on the model or where i gan get a rebuild kit. thanks in advance kieran
Attached Thumbnails
Wilcox crittenden head-san-mateo-20120216-00119.jpg   Wilcox crittenden head-san-mateo-20120216-00120.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Have you checked with Thetford Marine - they sell some W&C toilets under their own name. Don't know about parts for an older toilet like this,, but they may be same for different models. That is a wonderful looking piece of kit. Hope you can get it working again.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-17-2012

DARING2 is on a distinguished road
Checked with thetford and they need to know the model, i told them it was a type n and they had no clue, ya i think its worth saving cause i dont like the look of the plastic heads
Old 02-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
That old WC head is worth preserving if you can.
I doubt that you will be able to get a 'service kit' that is purposely made for it though.
I've installed a few service kits and I'd guess that if you can get a service kit for the oldest WC head they have that you might be able to use many of the parts. Some parts will not work because of the foot pump but I'd say it is worth a shot.
Mostly those kits consist of:
- a joker valve (could likely be made to work with your old unit)
- a few rubber parts that serve as valves or bushings
- a few springs or odd shaped metal parts.
You could probably make your own service kit if you knew what shape/size parts you need with the exception of the joker valve which is purpose made and looks a bit like the mouthpiece of a Clarinet but made of rubber.

Another brilliant idea I had is to post the pics of your old WC head over at Peggy Hall's forum (she is the "Head Mistress" and knows her heads): The Head Mistress - SailboatOwners.com
She wrote a book about heads and boat odors. The book is pretty good too, I have it. It might help you understand some of the ways each part is supposed to function. I'll bet you could figure some of this out for yourself if you took it apart, piece by piece too.
Good luck.
Beautiful old head, worth saving, if you can.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-17-2012

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Looks like an original wilcox crittenden imperial....

but with chrome parts.

IMHO I would not use it as it will bankrupt you in rebuild kits (if they don't run out).

I would offer it for sale on a traditional boat forum or similar, or to Thetford as a museum piece (eve though I doubt that they care). They certainly would not like the comparison between your heads and their ComfortMate 12 Volt Electric Marine Toilet.

Use any money to buy a Lavac.

mitiempo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-18-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Try asking on the WoodenBoat Forum, old guys with old boats.
Old 02-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
That's a real throne, suitable for Queen Victoria, but I think I agree with Gtod25.

I think the only reason to keep it would be for its novelty value - it certainly looks classy and would be a real conversation piece.

It reminds me very much of Blake heads from years ago - they were very deluxe and infinitely rebuildable - you could even send them back to the factory for a full remanufacturing process but it cost about 1/2 of what a vacuflush or electric head costs IIRC.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.